Learning the Concertina - Online "Self-tuition"

Learning the Concertina - Online "Self-tuition"

So I recently purchased a Morse Ceili and am currently learning how to play the thing. I have a busy family life and have tried lessons in the past but always have trouble scheduling them around my busy work/family life. On this site I found Caitlin Nic Gabhann’s online self-tuition course and so far I’m really impressed. I’m working my way through the starter’s course and as I’m coming to an end I’m considering what to do next. I know OAIM has a similar style course with a few concertina lessons. The differences is for Caitlin’s course you need to subscribe to each level independently and with OAIM you get all the courses at once. Both courses look good and without much tune overlap so I want to try to do both but the question is about timing.

After I finish the starter’s course on Caitlin’s website I will cancel my subscription. Should I then move onto her intermediate course, and once I’m all finished with both courses move over to OAIM and start learning the tunes there? Or after the Caitlin’s starter should I do the basic courses and intermediate course at OAIM and then move back to Caitlin’s to do the intermediate and if it’s ready the advanced before moving back to OAIM for the advanced course there?

The basic differences between the two are path A which involves doing one course all the way then the other with less subscription hopping, or path B which progresses by level but requires a lot of subscription hopping.

I’m sure I’m overthinking this and should just pick one and go with it and that there really isn’t a right answer anyway but I thought I’d ask and just see what other people thought, especially those who have tried both courses.

Re: Learning the Concertina - Online "Self-tuition"

Have you considered getting Skype-based personal instruction if a concertina teacher isn’t available in your area? Nothing can beat one-on-one tutoring.

I actually have tried Skype-based lessons in the past. They ended up being more convenient to schedule than face-to-face but still not as easy to use as the tuition videos like Caitlin’s course. Each is only 15ish minutes long and I can start and stop whenever I have the time without any need to schedule. At some point I’d like to set up either face-to-face or Skype lessons but as for now I think I’m going to stick with the online course and any local workshops that I can make it to.

I have had success using OAIM. The way each tune is taught is quite helpfull. The teaching section is slow with pointers about grace notes, etc. Because it’s online, you can go back over any part at any time. Each tune can be downloaded, along with a printed version and an ABC copy.

The pre recorded sessions are very helpful. They are at speed (The lessons seem quick, but are generally not full speed versions). The sessions allow you to practice and review tunes you are working on. I play a Morse concertina, but on OAIM, I have used lessons for other instruments to help me learn a tune on the concertina.

David

The OAIM courses are really good, but nothing beats just getting out there and playing. If you can find a friendly local session and start trying to join in - quietly / politely obviously 🙂 that’ll help you hugely.

I have been usung OAIM for both concertina and flute a highly recommend them. Tunes are taught phrase by phrase at a moderate tempo. There are usually three videos for each tune which builds up to playing at session speed. There are also sections which allow you to play along with backing tracks at various tempo’s and play the tunes in a virtual session. I find these resources really helpful. A real bargain for about £16 a month !