Whistle Stands

Whistle Stands

Hello folks.

I’d like to know if you can suggest a whistle stand which holds the instruments vertically, kind of laid back. I ‘ve seen some but i’d like to know if there is any personal experience.

Thank you.
Cheers.

Chris

Re: Whistle Stands

I searched Esty and found one supplier, Nativewoodorks, offering a stand for a single whistle. You might contact them and see if a multi whistle stand could be made. It also seems like the sort of thing one might contact a local high school woodshop about. It may be an interesting design and crafting project for a student.

I made one myself, it took less than half an hour to make and works really well. Start with a wooden base 20cm x 12cm (doesn’t have to be accurate!) and about 25 - 30mm thick. I did sand and oil it, just to be pretty! Drill 6 holes 8mm diameter, two rows of three, where you want to put the whistles. The holes can go all the way through, or almost - you need the depth for the pins to be solid. If you have access to a drill press it’s useful for drilling straight! Then cut 6 x 180mm lengths of 8mm dowel and fit them into the holes. I guess you can glue them if you want but I didn’t and the whole thing comes apart, and slips into a little bag which lives with my microphone. It is just brilliant for gigs - no more slipping over rolling whistles! Contact me if you want a photo.

Thank you both for your answers!

The thing is that i’m looking for a stand that the whistles lay back, not with pins on the base.

I don’t know if i’m confusing you. I’ve seen somewhere a display stand which had a solid base and an upper back with sockets.

Cheers.

That one on Chiff & Fipple turns instruments into furniture- not my cup of tea.

For me a whistle stand is for gigs. You want it to be compact and lightweight, meaning that it folds up, and you want it to not take up much space. Space is at a premium on a stage crowded with mic stands and amps and cords and chairs and such.

One idea I’ve seen is a folding music stand, set at a slight angle to hold a typical "roll up" whistle bag, laid out flat on the stand. It’s quick to set up and then pack away at the end of the gig, because the whistles are already in their carrying bag. Some folding music stands are very compact and lightweight, and this would let you adjust the height for easy access whether you’re seated on a chair, a higher stool, or standing.

Probably not enough of a market for a commercial product. Are you looking for a stand that attaches to a mic stand? sit’s on a table? You’ll probably need to either make one yourself or sketch out what you want and spend a few hundred dollars having someone make one for you.

My homemade whistle stand for gigs:

I had some smooth simple pieces of wood trim, about 1.5" x 1/4". I couldn’t tell you where they came from. But I cut them into 9" lengths, five pieces total.

About an inch from each end and in the center of the flat side, I drilled a 1/4" hole. (I stacked them and drilled through several at once.)

I cut a 1/4" dowel into five or six 8" lengths. The dowels and flat pieces are bound together with a rubber band and carried in the zippered lid of my fiddle case.

To use them, a dowel goes through the holes in two flat pieces, linking them together as a sort of hinge. I keep adding dowels and flat pieces as a daisy chain, eventually hooking the ends together with the final dowel. So the flat pieces are on the floor, the dowels are sticking up, and I slide a whistle (or recorder for some gigs) over each dowel. The instruments are held vertically right next to my chair.

It works well in the minimal version too, with just one dowel and two flat pieces.

@Joe Fidkid That would be ideal but he isn’t selling it.
It’s just a site for his whistles.

@Steve Wilson : It’s for my room not for a gig. Not that the one in the chiffandfipple forums though. That way sophisticated.

Cheers

A bit off the topic but the fella that plays with the band “Doolin”, Jacob Fournel, has a peg stand for his whistles that has a cover. When he carries it it looks like a long vertical suitcase. The cover must have something that holds the top of the whistles secure. He doesn’t ever need to take them off the stand except for when he’s playing one. I kind of assume it is custom made but someday I want to message him on Facebook and get the story. I would love to have something like it. He’s also an amazing player. Apparently he’s an accomplished jazz pianist.

I made my own simple stands out of a rosewood base with various dowels for the whistles. Each stand holds 5 whistles. Happy to send photos.

A simple, but somewhat ugly stand can be made out of block of wood. Choose a block of wood 2x2, 2x3, or 3x3 and 5-8" long. Measure the outside diameter of your whistles. Using a drill press (or drill guide if you’re crazy), drill holes slightly larger than the whistles diameter down the length of the board. If you want the whistles to lay back a little bit tilt the table on your drill press (5-10 degrees should be enough). I do something similar for storing specialty drill bits.

A nicer one would be to take a flat board, 3/4"-1" thick, wide enough to hold the whistles and around 5-7" long. On this board you’re going to use a router to route flutes down the length of the board, stopping short of the end (by an inch). Your whistles will lay in the flutes. Now you need a way of leaning this board at an angle. You can make a fancy angled base, foldable wire stand (it’s easy to bend brass rod), wooden legs, whatever. To keep the whistles from falling out I would make a simple 1"-2" wide leather strap that goes over the boards width (so perpendicular to the flutes) and is mounted about halfway down the board. You could tool the leather with Celtic symbols and have fun with it.