Mondays with John Whelan

Mondays with John Whelan

If you don’t follow John Whelan on Facebook you should. He does this thing every week called “Mondays with John” where he goes live and just plays tunes for an hour or so. It’s 7:00 in Connecticut, so probably 4:00 where he lives? Also he’s raising money to publish a tune book, accompanying CD, and another CD just because. He’ll likely link to that’s Go Fund Me.

Re: Mondays with John Whelan

I just got to know John Whelan at the Portal Irish Week last month. What a character! Lots of musical energy and drive.

At one late-night session, John and Keven Crawford traded polkas for almost an hour. I’m not a big polka fan, but these were really great. Queen Esther’s stands out in my memory: https://thesession.org/tunes/16146

Ahhhh Queen Esthers….probably my favourite tune at the moment. Goes really well after Dots, and Bernard Murphys. John is promoting a new album / book at the moment, check it out on facebook and you can donate to help him self fund this important project.

I’ll second that recommendation for Monday’s with John - it’s like tuning in to a virtual session. I’ve played along as often as I can. John is wonderful.

I’ve been asked many times what John Whelan’s inspiration was for Queen Esthers (that’s me playing in the video). This is one of my favourite tunes of all time.