Mick Burke: Five row box player ‘par excellence’.

Mick Burke: Five row box player ‘par excellence’.

I am researching the playing history of my dear friend Mick Burke (Limerick - Manchester - Clitheroe) who is sadly about to bow out. Mick remains the gentlest of gentlemen and the finest five row box player I have ever seen or heard.

I have a made a tentative start on this, based around his Clitheroe and East Lancashire playing days. I welcome more information from any who knew Mick, or ever heard him play, during his Manchester days and/or the Fleadhs he played at during this period. Not sure if he played when in Limerick but would dearly love to hear from anyone who could enlighten me on this. One of the giants of traditional irish session music whose shoulders many in this part of the world stand on.

Sliante
Steve Burke

Re: Mick Burke: Five row box player ‘par excellence’.

I’d love to see any videos of his playing! I also play the 5-row C-system CBA, but for other genres of music than traditional Irish.

Hi Michael
You’re not alone with that wish.
There will be some video/film recordings somewhere and I am working on this. Mick was never one for the limelight though and his glory days were mostly before the advent of mobile phone/cameras where everything is now recorded.
Thanks for the interest, if videos can be tracked down I will ensure that links to these are made known on this site.
Sliante
Steve B

Mick’s old friend, Liam Webster, (All Ireland Champion etc) would very much like to get in touch with Mick. Though he’s not on social media or email etc, Liam’s asked that we pass on his contact details for Mick.

Hi Carol
I have sent you a direct email in response to this posting. Sadly Mick died during the first week in December. His musical legacy lives on though in all who were privilaged to hear him, play alongside him and have known him. Apologies for not responding earlier.
Regards
Steve Burke