Tune ID

Re: Tune ID

interesting to see a young fella taking up the Alec Finn style of zouk playing

Thanks Michael Eskin….right.

gooseinthenettles - wrong answer 😉

Posted by .

There is only one reel in that clip, the first tune is a jig, followed by The Tap Room reel.

Yup, first tune is a jig.

I believe it’s a slip jig. It’s in 6/8 time so the third beat is “slipped” (that’s where the name comes from)

It is in 6/8, bannermansGaff. And it’s a jig.
Slip jigs are 9/8.

Anyone have a name for the first tune? B Part reminds me a bit of The Chapel Bell, isn’t that tune though.

No, you’re thinking of hop jigs. Slip jigs are in 6/8 and have a distinctive “hoppity hop hop” cadence. I know this because we did a segment at university on Irish music and we play slip jigs in my session every week.

Huh, the tags must be wrong. I know for a fact that the Butterfly is a hop jig. Alan at our local session just got back from Ennis Trad Fest and he had a few new hop jigs that he got from sessions with the local musicians. Jaysus he is full of tunes after that weekend. He is always bringing new stuff to our little session and filling us in on what is new in the aul sod.

Tags are not wrong. Ask anyone in the northern hemisphere about slip jigs and those that know will tell you they are in 9/8.
Wikipedia also has them in 9/8.

In honor of ‘him who dost not be named’, I would say the difference between a ‘hop-jig’ and a ‘slip-jig’, is in the ‘pulse’. What I would like to see is a video of a dance to a hop jig, as distinguished to one with modern slip steps.Barring that, a convincing historical discussion of differing steps between the two. Anyone?

"I know this because we did a segment at university on Irish music". … That’s a bit like saying that a thing must be true because you read it in the Readers Digest.

Posted by .

I think I saw a segment some’ere’s that bannermansgaff was really spelled bannermansgaffe🙂

"Anyone have a name for the first tune? B Part reminds me a bit of The Chapel Bell, isn’t that tune though"

The Boys Of Tandaragee is one of the names of the jig https://thesession.org/tunes/1392

who cares whether it’s hop, zip, slip, saw, single, double…. all you need to do is listen and copy, the label has no importance… but sounds like a double jig to me (eg a normal jig)

It’s a double jig in 6/8 time. A variant of one of these - take your pick from the "settings".

https://thesession.org/tunes/1392
https://thesession.org/tunes/842

"The double jig is in 6/8 time…….."
"Slip jig - in 9/8 time, the slip or hop jig is distinct from the other types" :
Source for both quotes - , Fintan Vallely’s "Companion To Irish Traditional Music [ 1st edition ] - pg 202.

"Slip jigs are in 6/8 and have a distinctive “hoppity hop hop” cadence. I know this because we did a segment at university on Irish music and we play slip jigs in my session every week".
Which university was that and who was the teacher ? Really, you need to ask for your money back.

On the reverse of the sleeve-notes to Tommy Potts "Liffey Banks" recording, "The Butterfly" is - correctly- described as a slip-jig. The sleeve notes to "The Butterfly" - written by Seamus Ennis - say "An aptly titled slip-jig…… "
That would be enough for most people.

Posted by .

Thanks Theirlandais and Kenny. Vaguely familiar with both, not familiar enough to identify them though apparently.

I think bannermansGaff may be listening well enough & perhaps not terribly far off base. His terminology is not a perfect fit though sometimes words have two meanings. Know what I mean?

From a dancer’s perspective…
posted by Zina Lee January 20th, 2004
https://thesession.org/discussions/2748#comment54013

Posted by .

Look, I get that we can speak of a tune built on a triplet pulse, counted in two’s as well as tune built off of triplets (and their associated dotted companions) counted in four. And, to my ear, I can distinguish between a ‘slippy’ jig and a ‘hoppy’ jig by the arrangement of eighths and dotted quarters, much as I hear the arrangements of verse in iambs, trochees, dactyls, anapests, and all the other metrical feet your imagination can conjure. But, boiled down, Zina is only saying our modern recreation of dance is unable to accurately describe the historical dances of those names. I should like to see (know) how we can ‘foot’ these different musical meters.

Michael Eskin you are spot on Rollicking Boys of Tandragee is the name of the Double Jig, played a lot in Connamara.

As I pointed out 15 hours ago.

Posted by .

No worries, my own fault, as I just provided the link and not the title. Surprised that no one recognised it before me, as it’s a very well-known tune. Great box player - really enjoyed that clip.

Posted by .

Erm, Theirlandais did, Kenny, in the post directly before yours.

My apologies to "Theirlandais", who did indeed identify the jig first, although I can’t for the life of me understand how I missed that post.

Posted by .

Gooseinthenettles soo sorry, I think I forgot my way of asking - and off course I know the difference between jigs and reels and whatever style of Tunes. So the first reel is the tap room. I wouldn’t be patronising you with my silly message. I was the asshole.

Posted by .