abc notation + hash key?

abc notation + hash key?

Why isn’t there a hash key on keyboard so as you can use it for "sharp sign"? Better than ^.

Re: abc notation + hash key?

what, this one? # doesnt every kb have that?

Um, depends on your keyboard. Are you using Mac, or possibly a 102 key or 104 key Windoze board? Generally found as the superscript above the numeral 3. My laptops and Chromebook do. Available as Unicode U+0023.

Posted by .

Yes, when I first got a Mac it took a while to find it. At least its now marked on the keyboard.
But abc is just code so in some respects the choice of symbol was random.

Maybe it’s because ABC notation was developed, in part I think, for people who don’t read music notation? For them, the hash key is just a #️⃣, not a “sharp” sign.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. ABC notation, despite (or because of) it’s low-tech-ness, has stood the test of time. If you can learn that _ means ‘flat’, z means ‘rest’ etc., then learning ^ for ‘sharp’ shouldn’t be a problem.

A thaisce!

Hi Susan

In this age of ‘lol’ ‘btw’ ‘omg’ it is lovely to share with you something beautifully Irish 🙂

When writing to someone normally it’s ‘A chara’

‘Taisce’ means store, hoard, treasure so when used in addressing someone very special to you, it becomes

A THAISCE

near enough pronounced

A HASH KEY

so you get in keyboard shortcuts ‘a#’

Just thought you might like to know a subtle bit of Irish keypad use 🙂

All the best

Brian x

You have to admire the choice of "z" as a rest. Just like "zzzzz" is sleeping in a cartoon.

I see there’s a hash ######## it is on RH side below the ~sign. Funny lack of foresight these abc notat’n folk.

callison - imaginative - but bees buzzin R not restful.

Took me a while to find it on my Mac keyboard too: press Alt and 3 at the same time does it. And yes, it’s a hash sign, strictly speaking, not a sharp which has vertical uprights, and diagonal crossbars, not diagonal uprights and horizontal crossbars as in the hash, but who really cares?

ABC notation has been around a long time. I’m just speculating, because I don’t use ABC, but back in the day, the "#" symbol was used in a number of programming languages like a "command" key to tell a program to send the rest of the instruction line to a separate processor or to not process the line and treat it as a constant. I think I remember trying to send text that contained the symbol to a printer and having the printer stop interpreting correctly and just print gibberish ASCII code thereafter. So, while ABC might be interpreted correctly by an ABC player, it might not print correctly.

Consequently, programs would strip out hash symbols before sending text to a printer because there was no way to know how the printer’s programming might handle the character. So the symbol simply wouldn’t appear in the printout.

@briantheflute: Good to see that the ancient tongue is keeping with the times.

I think Barry has it correctly; ABC’s first typesetter was MusicTeX, which in turn used TeX (a general purpose typesetting system), which in turn used the hash symbol as something meaningful.

Posted by .

The ^ for ‘higher’ and _ for ‘lower’ seem to make enough sense graphically to aid in remembering them. They are also adjacent characters in the ASCII code, which a software implementor at the time this was developed would know about, and might on some systems have been output as an up arrow and back arrow. So it makes sense all round.

I second David50. Also, _ and ^ are ‘light’ symbols, i.e. their place is more white than black, they’re somewhat auxiliary. On the contrary, ‘#’ feels too ‘heavy’ for a note modifier.

Posted by .

I suspect that the # isn’t used because it’s a common programming language character used to cancel out whatever comes after it on the same line. Way back in the day they probably felt that it was easier to just avoid such characters.

Is there a fools guide to learning ABC.
I read music but dont understand ABC at all.