Jimmy McHugh

Jimmy McHugh

Anyone going to the Jimmy McHugh festival in Glasgow January 10th weekend, I hear it’s a fantastic Irish music weekend, anybody been there before?

Re: Jimmy McHugh

It’s a unique Trad Irish music event! And just 4 weeks away!

It’s always a fitting tribute to a great Irish musician, certainly the best weekend of Irish music you’ll get in Scotland any time of the year. Been to many of them, ever since the first. I think last year there were 6 sessions going on in Jury’s hotel after the concert. We went to bed at 4.00 in the morning, and they showed no sign of finishing even then. Some people have been known to play on until breakfast is served, then go to bed, surfacing only in time for the farewell session at "Sharkey’s".

Posted by .

Día dhaoibh! Greetings all!

A wonderful, deserved recognition and celebration of an incredibly generous and talented man who enlivened and promoted not only Irish Music, but the Culture too.

If you get the chance to be there you will not be disappointed!

All the best

Brian x

Are you going this year, Kenny?

Looks like I’m going, at least to Jury’s afterwards.

I only met him once, at Aonach Paddy O’Brien in 1997, just one great tune after another. He composed a number of tunes including a lovely jig called Courtown Harbour:
https://thesession.org/tunes/2987

50 / 50 for next year, Emily. Probably have to decide at the last moment.
I ‘ve had a great time every time I’ve gone, and recommend it to anyone with a serious interest in Irish traditional music.

Posted by .

I haven’t been in three or four years, but this year it’s falling on a weekend where my mountaineering club isn’t doing anything. So I might as well go.

Any links to where it all happens, events, etc? I note it is the weekend before Celtic Connections starts.

Thanks for the info.