Obscure recording ? John Joe Maguire

Obscure recording ? John Joe Maguire

"Treoir" magazine #2 - 2011 has an article leading up to the All-Ireland Fleadh of that year and mentions some recordings which were to be "launched" that weekend. Mention is made of " a special CD in memory of the late Fermanagh flute player John Joe "The Puck" Maguire" . Has anybody heard it / have a copy ?

Posted by .

Re: Obscure recording ? John Joe Maguire

Anybody ? "Archivist" ?

Posted by .

I know nothing of that particular recording, but if youre looking just to hear his music, it looks like theyre are some clips on the comhaltas archive site listed under ‘john maguire’

A tragic end there.

Kenny, have you tried asking Cathal McConnell?

Good suggestion, Kevin. I will ask the next time I see him.
John Joe Maguire and John Maguire are not necessarily the same person. I did a search on Comhaltas website for John Joe Maguire. All that came up were 10 links to video recordings, all made recently and after his passing.
A "Google" has revealed a "John Joe Maguire" Music Festival in Swanlinbar which I wasn’t aware of. I may make some enquiries there.
Thanks for the replies.

Posted by .

Hi Kenny! Yes there was a cd of John Joe Maguire called ‘The Shy Master’ out around 2012 I think. Cathal has it. I have a copy, but the sleevenotes are on the hard drive of defunct computer awaiting recovery. I did an internet search and there’s no mention anywhere. I’ll try and get the details from Cathal and report back.

I have spoken with Cathal and he feels that John Joe Maguire’s playing should be heard. The CD was a limited edition and no longer available. Cathal will try and find who put it out. Meantime I have contacted Ceol Alainn to see if I can put it up on that site. Listening to it at the moment, very tasty playing! Hopefully I will soon be able to make it available to others to hear.

Thanks very much, "Archivist" 🙂 Have yourselves a good Christmas.

Posted by .