Looking for a C melodeon

Looking for a C melodeon

I’ve never played a melodeon or any other type of accordion. Is there anyone here who has one that they want to get rid of (!) reasonably cheaply. It doesn’t have to be particularly great but must be in playing condition. Thanks.

Re: Looking for a C melodeon

Maybe look on the buy and sell section of melodeon.net?

C isnt a great key unless you want to play Cajun or East Anglian English music?

I’m not so sure C would be helpful for Cajun music — so far every Cajun player I’ve encountered has been playing a D melodeon.

that’s odd Lisa - most of the Cajun box players I come across [including myself] use a C box - personally I find a D box played in A too high to sing with, though admittedly it would be a lot more useful for ITM, Quebecois, etc

PM sent

Posted by .

Christy, I’ll happily cede the point! My experience in that genre is limited, and it’s entirely possible that I’ve been fraternizing with weirdos 🙂

In the early period of the melodeon (roughly up to 1900), melodeons were nearly all in C - like single or 2-rwo German concertinas. Listen to the recordings of P. J. Conlon, John J. Kimmel, Joe Flanagan, etc., etc. Forget that digitised versions on CDs and Lps are sometimes in C#, etc., that because the people who did the digitsation didn’t realise that so-called ‘78 records’ were often meant to be played at anything between 74 and 80 rpms a minutenot necessarily 78 rpms. I believe that US-made records (as all of the above were) did not specify a speed. If you have copies of these CDs/LPs and have a some sort of app like Audition, you can adjust the speeds to make them play in the correct key (4 rpms = about a semi-tone), have fun! I want a C melodeon to try to under more fully what the old players were doing.