Possible Bowing patterns for opening first bar of Galway rambler ?

Possible Bowing patterns for opening first bar of Galway rambler ?

Any suggestions? I’ve tried to figure out some pedal bowing solutions but they don’t seem particularly great, so I’ve pretty much just gone back to more or less discrete up bows to get that open E string and third finger notes on D and A strings. Maybe I just need to smooth it out. But am open to suggestions. No slurring patterns I’ve tried seem that good. After that, rest of tune is fine.

Staring on a G, a quArter note. Rest are 1/8ths.

Thanks!

Re: Possible Bowing patterns for opening first bar of Galway rambler ?

Pedal bowing … ?

The G is a pedal point. You bow it after each d and e on the A string.
It’s like a pedal bow on the A in The Reconciliation Reel. You keep returning to that note.
It’s a great tune on the flute and concertina. I find it challenging on the fiddle. I do use a slurring pattern. If nobody else posts the bowing I’ll do it tomorrow. I find the second part just as tricky. That tune is all about the little finger, isn’t it.

@meself….figure 8 bowing in irtrad parlance I guess.

David…agreed…because of move to open E string the usual fig 8 style bowing is pretty rough/ tricky on the fiddle.

Yes, B part is a bit of a challenge for the wee pinky for sure, but I found a bit of simplifying and some judicious slurs smoothed things out without sacrificing musicality and interest and possibility for variations second and third time thru.

The opening bar sounds perfectly suited to the flute. I’m learning tune from u.s. player Shannon Heaton’s YouTube channel. I don’t play flute but it defn looks and sounds like the opening sits bit better on flute rather than fiddle…I think one trick is to make sure one holds that quarter note to start for its full value and not rush into following rocking notes.

Okay, think I get the idea. Thanks! (Here I was thinking maybe you could use pedals to do your bowing - leaving one hand free to play the piano or write in your diary).

« because of move to open E string the usual fig 8 style bowing is pretty rough/ tricky on the fiddle. »

Forget about the open E string - pronto. Use the fourth finger.

I’d do it (G2dG) (eG) (dG) most of the time probably. Starting on an up bow or a down bow, either is fine. Lots of other combinations are equally valid.

If it’s tricky now, it soon won’t be. Get it under your belt. Pretty basic stuff and you’ll need the same pattern in any number of tunes, on the A and e strings too. 🙂

I agree with Stiamh - don’t try to use the open E [otherwise you’ll be trying to cross over two strings, rapidly, in both directions].

"Boys Of Ballisodare" has a similar thing at the start :

https://thesession.org/tunes/535, 1st setting

Both of those work nicely in Amaj too, the only possible downside being that you’d need to use 2nd position for the second part, and it might not suit your musical neighbours, depending on the instrument.

I once learned to deal with these drone patterns like this:
(G2d) (GeG) d g
(3-3-1-1)
(down-up-down-up)

It may feel counter-intuitive, but actually makes some sense if you want to be able to start the next phrase on a downbow as well.

Thanks all! Good suggestions. Will give them a try. Much appreciated.

I’m trying to figure this out as well. Nizoral 2% twice a week but what should we use the rest of the 5 days?

I heard about Lipogain, Regenepure, Revivogen… Any input from those that have tried is greatly appreciated!

whoops sorry wrong box

I agree with what everybody says, for a change.
I bow down on the G for the 1/4 note, then bow up and slur the d and the G.
Then slur down bow e (A string) and d…. then slur up again for the d/G.
So it’s: down bow / slur 2 up bow / slur 2 down bow / slur 2 up bow.

Any other fiddlers out there use Wohlfahrt Opus 45 #18 for little finger work?

https://michaelkravchuk.com/free-violin-sheet-music-wohlfahrt-etude-op-45-no-18/

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Wohlfahrt+Opus+45+%2318

Taking the first setting in the Session’s tune DB;
I’d double stop the G and D with the third finger and use the fourth finger for the E.
Played this way the bar requires only one finger movement - the fourth finger E.

X: 1
T: The Galway Rambler
R: reel
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: Gmaj
v(3GG(G vd)uG veuGvduG|

Start the G triplet with a down bow and slur the final note of the triplet with the D. Then it’s alternate up bow, down bow for the rest of the bar.

I play it in F , i learnt it in the east clare galway borders. I much prefer it a tone flat for the feel, the ease ,played a bit slower and relaxed .

Perfect Will. We’ll play it in that key tomorrow night.
I play with two fiddlers at a local pub on Wednesday evening.
I look forward to playing fiddle tomorrow night, and to playing the tune in this key.
Thanks—
David

There sre plenty of old standards that get a new lease of life played a tone down…… boys of blue hill for example .🙂