RIP Arty McGlynn

RIP Arty McGlynn

Sad to hear via Paul O’Driscoll that the guitar legend has passed away. No details yet. RIP

David

Posted by .

Re: RIP Arty McGlynn

RIP Arty. Sad loss for our music.

Very sorry to hear this sad news, I had many a tune with Arty RIP.

Posted .

Just heard about this. Great old player, what a loss.

Sad news.
I didn’t know Arty although I’ve seen him play a few times and he was involved in making some great music over the years.

I never had the pleasure of seeing him play live - never will now. One of the great pioneers of guitar in ITM.
These RIP notices are coming up with depressingly frequency……………..

Saw him just the once, performing with Nollaig Casey: a spell-binding evening. RIP Arty.

This is sad news. 🙁

How sad. The session in Heavens is evergrowing. RIP Arty.

Posted by .

It’s often only when someone like McGlynn leaves us that guitar pickers like me realise just how much we owe to him……..

Ní fheicfear a leithéid de dhaoine arís

His playing on Music at Matt Molloy’s, both accompaniment and melody, was hugely influential on me. It formed the foundation for my understanding of traditional backing (even though I don’t do it much, I know what I *would* do if I did) and fed into to my approach to playing tunes on plectrum instruments in general (I am not a guitarist per se)… and traditional music was only a relatively late addition to his musical prowess.

Arty McGlynn accompanying James Kelly.

Been looking for this clip for years.

Wonderful musician, who played a lot of other styles well, too, besides trad. Total class act.

His wife, the amazing fiddler Nollaig Casey and his family are in my family’s prayers.

Sad to hear, was lucky to see him in action a few times in Galway. RIP Arty.

Saw him in Lorient in 1994 together with Liam O Flynn… A great concert with great musicians. Great memories. RIP

Lovely man who always took a genuine interest in other people.Met him a few times and he was always so friendly.R.I.P. Arty.

This is so sad…I’ve played in sessions with him on Joanie Maddens cruises. He was very talented and such an entertainer. Condolences to Nollaig and their family.