The gift of not having to give up

The gift of not having to give up

Just four days after having my right wrist undergo a total fusion, I find I can still finger pick my guitar. If the cast didn’t get in the way and I could grasp a pick better, I’d be working on learning more tunes on the mandolin and bouzouki. Trad is more than just great music - it’s great therapy!

Re: The gift of not having to give up

Hi callison

What a lovely post to read, with such a positive outlook!
I can’t begin to imagine the threat of not being able to play permanently

Twice I have had severe interruptions and found times very difficult
I pray all goes well with your recovery

All the best
Brian x

Best wishes with the recovery! That’s great that you can still play. 🙂

Great news! Here’s wishing you the speediest of recoveries.

Excellent! Playing is good physiotherapy too!

In view of my experiences this past year, this music is simply the best therapy ever …. I particularly recommend "Swinging on the Gate" (the tune not the title - such activity probably not the best idea….!)
Good luck Callison
Alison

All the best with recovery Callison!

Good luck on your recovery. Be patient.

Four weeks ago I sustained a severe wrist (L) sprain. With a wrist splint/cast, I could play only harp, oud and charango (and of course lap steel). I could not fiddle or play accordion for about 3 weeks. But I was quite gratified that - given the ergonomics - I was able to play oud and charango, with which i was able to lead my weekly session.

Posted by .

@catty
"charango". Wow, had to look that one up. You have a pretty eclectic set of instruments, it must be very interesting in the sessions where you’re playing.

I organized a weekly afternoon at a large homeless shelter - it’s quite busy, 200+ daily, so I meet many Latin, Hispanic Indigenous people in addition to Anglo. I quite enjoy a lot of latin music.. In America there are always guitar people singing songs, so I cheat and play lap steel, but I pull out the noisemakers too.

Posted by .

just keep at it. I was off of playing for ten years or so partly due to having surgeries on all of my fingers for trigger release issues. This year I had the last two fingers operated on and they’re almost back to normal dexterity. It can take a while and it can take a very long time to get back that final 10-20% of movement. Work with your surgeon and hand therapists. Let them know you’re a musician and have them work with you to get the speed and dexterity back.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, callison!

great flute player visited our session once, and had the most relaxed top hand I’ve ever seen. Reason being that he lost a good part of his index finger in some sort of accident. He had then devised a brace for his wrist which the flute rested on, filled in the top finger hole, and drilled a thumb hole to replace it. Music finds a way…

Ten days out from surgery. I can finger-pick the guitar and play the B/C box. It’s not saying too much for my box abilities that I play almost as well with cast on as I did before the surgery. At least I have an excuse, the dang cast gets in the way and transitions between rows are incredibly clumsy because of the it. Maybe I should have taken up melodeon… ;^)

Cast comes off next Tuesday and all will be well with the world.

Happy New Year!