Looking for newish musicians to practice with

Looking for newish musicians to practice with

Hi,
I’m based in Galway (about 10km west of the city), and I’m looking for musicians to practice trad with.

This is where I’m currently at…

I play bodhran (about 6 months on and off) - am ok with reels and jigs
I have been playing guitar for a long time but not played any trad whatsoever. Would be nice to have someone to play with to get this going.
I am also starting irish flute in the new year

If anyone is interested in practicing a few tunes, new or more experienced, please do get in touch.

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: Looking for newish musicians to practice with

Go to a session and meet up with people. But take your drum anyway!

Good luck in your endeavours Patrick.

Go to The Dewdrop Inn on Monday and Tuesday evenings. Monday is slow session, Tuesday a bit more intermediate. Starts at 7, I think.

Search for Galway in the sessions page on this site.

I agree with the others…just go to a session and join in! As long as you do it quietly / respectfully you’ll be made welcome.
(I only say that because I’ve seen numerous Bodhran players over the years go to a new session and just hammer away loudly, then wonder why nobody wants to speak to them)

Learners in Galway

I’m relatively new to Irish trad and am looking for other learners to practise and build confidence with.

I’m based about 12km west of Galway, Ireland and play bodhran, guitar (experienced in folk etc but just started learning trad), learning flute (very new to this!)- if you’re interested or know someone who might be please drop me a line.

Thanks
Patrick

Re: Learners in Galway

Same response as to your question from 3 weeks ago.

Dewdrop Inn in Galway on Monday and Tuesday evenings: https://thesession.org/sessions/6826. Very friendly and welcoming. At least they were to me and I ain’t from around those parts.

As Callison suggested, reach out to Wryguy; he organizes the sessions.