Best trad recordings of 2019

Best trad recordings of 2019

I’m about to spend a few bob I’ve made busking over the festive season, best time to go if you ask me, make sure you wear plenty of socks though, your feet can get mighty cold standing around.
I’d like to spend my earnings on trad music (what else) and was interested in getting some recommendations on what people thought was good this year.
Despite not being particularly into Scottish music or piping for that matter I though The REeling by Brighde Chaimbeul was inspired, one of the best folk records I’d heard in ages. So anything inspiring you’d recommend?

Re: Best trad recordings of 2019

I am really enjoying Jarlath Henderson and Innes Watsons’ A Moment in Time and Ryan Molloy and Fergal Scahills’ One Day : November Woods
Matt Molloy , Back to the Island
New Leaf , New Leaf
The Reeling would be up there as well for me.

Posted by .

Most of my music buys this year have been back-filling with older recordings I’ve missed, but I did pick up these two released this year, both great:

Matt Molloy - Back to the Island
Liz Carroll & Jake Charron - Half Day Road

Carlos Sweeney McCarton is a great album. And I recommend Dathi Gormley. Yvonne Casey is also excellent.

You won’t be disappointed, Jeremy!

Another like for Carlos, Sweeney and McCairtin.

Also been listening to Nuadán. More young lads sounding old school. Lovely mix of tunes and songs.

https://nuadantrad.bandcamp.com/releases

Cheers,

Melany

Posted by .

Others already beat me to it but I’ll chime in that Carlos, Sweeney, McCartin and the Queally sisters "Beyond the Bellows and the Bow" were my two favourite trad recordings this year. I also quite liked Damien O’Reilly’s "Dúchas" album.

Kirsten Allstaff has just released a second solo album ( https://thesession.org/recordings/6746 ); haven’t got it yet, but I love her first, so the second holds a lot of promise. There is a sample on the recording page.

Liam. Its excellent.

Posted .

Liag. Of course.

Posted .

Thanks for turning me on to Còig, NfldWhistler, I hadn’t run across them before!

Another vote for the fabulous Queally sisters and one for Aidan Connolly and John Daly "Away On Up The Road " sweet sweet fiddling . And for songs Christy moore is back to his best with the new band .

You’re welcome, Reverend!

Missed your album in the previous list. Also worth checking out, BeeBop.

Pete Strickler, Charlie Branch & company:
https://thesession.org/recordings/6687

Thanks everyone for some great suggestions, I’ve gone for the Queally Sisters and the Carlos Sweeney McCartin records for now, though some of the other suggestions were great as well from what I’ve heard, if I get too much music in one go I never get round to listening to it all.
When I was on bandcamp I found another nice concertina/fiddle album by Doireann Glackin and Sarah Flynn. Wonderful playing and an exploration of the repetoires of the under represented women of ITM.

In no particular order :

"Liag" - Dermot Byrne, Eamonn Coyne and John Doyle
"Four/4" - Kirstin Allstaff
"Duchas" - Damien O’Reilly
"The Boss Murphy Musical Legacy" - "The Shandrum Ceili Band"
"A Snapshot In Time" - Paula & Melanie Houton
"Indeedin You Needn’t Bother" - Brenda Castles

Posted by .

Aye, just downloaded The Housekeepers meself - it’s a cracker! Thanks for the heads up BeeBop!

Did any of you take a good look at the cover of The Housekeepers?

There’s an item there which, in spite of all the marketing, has never taken off like the iPod, iPad, iPhone etc…

the iRon
🙂

All the best
Brian x

Any suggestions on trad from Scotland?

There have been lots of new releases in Scotland, but some are re-releases of older recordings and have their place in STM history, so very worthy of mention and purchase!
"The Harvard Tapes" - recorded at concerts at Harvard University in the 1980s:
one, an album of Dick Gaughan on the Greentrax label.
the other, the legendary band, The Clutha, on the Birnam label.

We are blessed with so many fine young female singers in Scotland, many of whom have new albums out: Iona Fyfe, Hannah Rarity, Robyn Stapleton, Siobhan Miller, Karine Polwart.
And from very slightly older males and groups: Dougie Mackenzie, Jarlath Henderson, and the "Handsel" album by Malinky celebrating their 20 years of existence.

If you prefer instrumental, I’d go for Ross Ainslie, Jenna Reid or Freeland Barbour.

I’ve omitted the Gaels, I’m afraid, but also many fine singers and bands! Skipinnish, Tide Lines, Manran, Skerryvore, and many more.

Ewen Henderson, who sings and plays fiddle and pipes for Manran, has a shiny new solo album called "Steall," with Gaelic songs and fiddle tunes. I’ve been waiting for it since I saw Manran on Skye last year, thinking, ‘This is nice but I’d love to hear him do straight trad playing and singing." Lo and behold….!

https://www.ewen-henderson.com/shop

Thanks Trish, DrSilverSpear

Thanks for the heads up on these. Few purchases on their way.