Fiddle strings!

Fiddle strings!

Okay so this is my first post here so hopefully this works. I’m looking at trying some different strings on my fiddle which I’ve had for about 4/5 months. At the moment I’m fairly sure the current strings on it are dominant strings (which it came with). The instrument itself is a second hand violin- it has a fairly bright, loud sound and I would preferably want a string set that would increase the smoothness of the sound and be ideal for traditional Irish fiddle playing. I was thinking synthetic, medium gauge Obligato or Pro Arte, but there is such a minefield of strings I would appreciate some recommendations! Thanks in advance 🙂

Re: Fiddle strings!

I use Obligatos on my inherently bright fiddle and Evahs on my inherently mellow one.

Strings won’t change the character of the fiddle but they will moderate it to a degree.

Hi Caitlin, and welcome to thesession!

I’ve tried a fair variety of strings. Synthetic, medium gauge would a good first choice for type.

I’ve used Obligatos before, and they have a nice warm tone.

If you want to sweeten up the sound of a loud and bright violin, Corelli Crystals are good for that too.

There’s a chart with a rough guide to string properties here :

https://www.violinstringreview.com/quick-reference.html

Good luck!

There’s also a wide range of rosin choices now that will moderate your sound. I use Leatherwood, which you can get in either a very bright, very mellow, or quite literally anything in between range. It’s not cheap, but lasts a long time, and really makes a big difference. If you’re getting serious about finessing your sound with strings, don’t forget to look at your rosin choices ;)

Posted by .

I originally strung my violin with Prim’s and although I like them a lot I wanted something slightly mellower but still loud so I went with Zyex.

I used to use Dominants and then Tonicas. After switching to Pro Arte, I’m not looking back. They have the best sound and the best price. The tone is still good after close to a year as well.

Posted by .

Pro Arte are great strings!

@Caitlin : I meant to say, I have a set of Larsen Virtuoso and Pirastro Tonica for sale, used, but with only 2 hours playing time. I’m including a new Goldbrokat E string with each set (so you have 2 E strings per set).

I’m putting them up on eBay, but if you are interested please send me a message.

Also, mean to say earlier - no matter what brand I use, I always fit a Pirastro Goldstahl E string. Best E ever, imo.

@Tradgirl I think I’ll give Pro Arte a go.

I’ve had, at various times in the past :

Pirastro : Obligato, Evah Pirazzi, Evah Pirazzi Gold, Tonica, Oliv, Passione, Passione Solo
Warchal : Amber
Larsen : Virtuoso
Thomastik : Dominant, Vision Titanium Solo
D’Addario : Zyex, Helicore

After a tweet from Anna Massive a few weeks go I stuck some Ascenté strings on and I’m liking them. My fiddle is pretty loud/bright so I try and pair it with relatively darker strings.

Posted by .

Thanks for all the recommendations! I think I’ll start by trying the Pro Arte strings paired with the Corelli Alliance E string. I’ve recently started using Sartory rosin and although it’s a bit on the pricey side it seems really good.

Forgot to mention, would you recommend a ball or loop end E string- I’m not too sure what the difference is.

Hi Caitlin, good choice on the Pro Arte! I think you will be surprisingly pleased as I was. I have only one fine tuner on my fiddle - on the E string. If you have a loop end, it will loop right around the hook on the fine tuner. If for some reason you can only find them in a ball end (I snagged a good deal on ball end), you can buy a little D’Addario Kaplan ball end adapter for about $5. This is the route I took and it has worked fine.

Posted by .