May be a long shot….Irish musicians in North Carolina?

May be a long shot….Irish musicians in North Carolina?

Anyone out there residing in the vicinity of Boone or Mount Airy, NC or Galax, VA…interested in woodshedding and/or playing Irish tunes together??

I’m an advancing beginner fiddler, just relocated to the area to learn to build fiddles at Surry Community College. All anyone plays around here is Old-Time ;)

I’m aware of the sessions in Asheville and Greensboro which are lovely, but just curious if there’s anyone closer looking for excuses to play. Feel free to private message me!

Re: May be a long shot….Irish musicians in North Carolina?

There must be some as there was a session over the last summer at Murphy’s in boone. I used to live up that way but that was before I played Irish tunes. Good luck! I’m sure there are some musicians.

kayjay, if you update your location on your member profile (using the "update your location" button), then you’ll be able to see if there are any fellow members of The Session nearby, and you can contact them through their member profiles and see if they fancy some tunes.

Here’s the direct link (which will only work for kayjay):
https://thesession.org/members/109835/location

Howdy, there should be good music in Boone and Asheville- nothing like NYC or Chicago but good enough to really get a good hang on ITM. I play a lot in Detroit and I’m in NC quite often, but on the OBX. Swannanoa Gathering in Asheville is one of the best festivals in the U.S. for trad and old-time, and not too far away you have the IrishFest Atlanta.

Thanks for the tip Jeremy, I didn’t know about the nearby members feature

And what a treat to learn of Patrick Sky!

The Swannanoa Gathering’s Celtic Week is fabulous, and it would give you a great opportunity to connect with other ITM musicians in your area. And the classes and faculty concerts are amazing! This is last year’s catalog, but it gives you a good idea of the types of offerings: https://www.swangathering.com/catalog/cl/celtic-week/

There used to be a one-Sunday-afternoon-a-month session at Grace O’Malley’s in Virginia Beach. I don’t know if it’s current.

Posted by .

ginsbergkerouac,

How does Detroit compare to Chicago and Asheville, in terms of the prevalence of sessions and general local interest in ITM? We’ve been considering relocating to one of those three cities, and the local Celtic culture is factoring into our decision. I have family in Detroit, but was not yet interested in ITM the last time I visited, so didn’t check things out then. The same is true of Asheville. Is there much there, or is it mostly bluegrass and Old Time? Does it seem true that there is more interest in the midwest in general? Asking you because you are familiar with both. Thanks.