Barry Dransfield

Barry Dransfield

I have always been a big fan of Barry Dransfield, somewhat of a folk legend in the UK
I heard he had moved to France possibly ,does anyone know what has become the of him?

Re: Barry Dransfield

Hi Steve, welcome to the "session.org". You might be better asking on "The Mudcat Cafe" than here. Don’t know about France, but I had heard that he had gone into dealing seriously in fiddles - possibly even making them, but this was a while ago, and maybe my memory could be playing tricks on me. I liked the solo LP he made in the 1970s, which had a couple of Irish fiddle tracks on it. If I remember rightly, he had been taught one of the tunes by Michael Gorman, and had received a few lessons from him.

Posted by .

Incidentally, tangential Irish music connection, - again from a possibly faulty memory - I seem to recall that Barry Dransfield was the fiddler on the Mel Gibson version of "Mutiny On The Bounty", and played "Cooley’s Reel" for the sailors to dance / exercise to. A bit ahead of his time with that one. Maybe somebody else could confirm this, or I’ll have to wait until it comes round on some obscure TV channel again, as no doubt it will.
The "Bounty" replica made for that film used to be - [maybe still is ] - moored in Sydney harbour, and tourists could go for a sail round the harbour in the evenings. My wife and I did just that around 20 odd years ago. I got to steer the boat for a few minutes without disaster, and helped to set one of the sails. They also had a strolling minstrel on board who had a Bb whistle sticking out of his pocket. I asked to borrow it, and played "The Belfast Hornpipe" on board the [replica ] "Bounty" in Sydney harbour.

Posted by .

Not much wrong with my memory after all 🙂

Posted by .

PS - thank you, "DrSchlock".

Posted by .

I remember him from the ‘Rout of the Blues’ album with Robin Dransfield , way back in 1970!

Last I heard of Barry he had a music shop in Hastings, Sussex dealing mainly in repair and sale of fiddles. I worked with him once in the late 70’s on a BBC schools programme Music Arcade in an episode called
The fiddle in folk music. With Barry and I was the great piper Bob White. The programme was compered by Lucy Skeaping, who went on to greater things. I have tried to get a copy of the recording but the beeb never kept one.