Good to be playing again

Good to be playing again

Hello all,
Been having a lot of hand pain when playing, and it’s gotten to the point where I can’t play for more than 30 minutes without stabs of pain or aches in joints and general pain. I selftaught myself so haven’t been using the proper grip for ages, and it screwed me a fair bit. Been fixing it, and the improvement in pain was almost immediate. I couldn’t believe it.
I’ve been playing for hours at a time and actually running out of tunes to flow in to. It is so strange, for a long while I’d kind of given up on playing.
Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Hope all of you in Aussieland are safe and sound.
Cheers

Re: Good to be playing again

Glad you have been able to play again (mandolin?). For me, too, pain and stiffness of joints has hampered me playing the fiddle. I also play piano - and joint pain less of an issue because (a) long years of practice (b) fingers must press hard on violin strings (c) have gradually got a lighter touch on piano - partly through advice to bang down less from older sis!).

I do find that "working through the pain" {which my pianist grandma Harriet did on the piano when old and had arthritic fingers) can strengthen your fingers and make them less sore. Since leaving my piano in Orkney, mt fiddle playing has improved like never before. GOOD LUCK.

Glad to have you back, BB. πŸ™‚

Happy New Year Blind Bard!

And if you get old or otherwise in a state where playing your instrument is too hard on ya, do consider other instruments. I have hand/wrist issues and had to quit playing gtr, bass, etc…took up others. I’m just coming off a 6 week old injury - only thing I could play is harp and a bit of charango..

Posted by .

Nice to see you around BB! Good luck sorting out your grip.

Hi Andrew. I wondered where you had gone mate. Good to see you back. Sorry to read about your set-back, but you know what they say… "when the going gets tough…. Keep fighting and all the best to you my friend.

Posted by .

"I do find that ‘working through the pain’ … can strengthen your fingers and make them less sore."

That can sometimes be appropriate - for example, when a beginner experiences the inevitable discomfort of exercising hitherto less used muscles, toughening of fingertips etc., and perhaps in a ‘use it or lose it’ scenario such as arthritis (which catches up with most of us sooner or later). But what The Blind Bard describes sounds like the way he was playing was actually causing him injury and he has clearly done the right thing in amending his technique.

I would add that the onset of arthritis could well be accelerated by poor playing technique - that being the case, correcting echnique could slow or arrest its progress.

I was knocked out of playing completely for almost a year because my left hand/arm was having severe pain and tingling (like carpal tunnel syndrome). I know the frustration! (Of course, my frustration was heightened by incompetent doctors who took my money and told me, "We don’t know what it is, but we’re certain it’s not in your neck." Drumroll: It was in my neck. End of irrelevant rant.)
Get back out there and have fun, Blind Bard! Learn new tunes and make new friends, and…
…yeah, my injury was caused by bad posture, too…
…fix your bow grip! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

"… correcting echnique …"

technique πŸ˜‰

I began developing Dupuytren’s Contractions in the middle and ring fingers of my Left hand nearly two years ago. After endless numerous PT visits and steroid injections in the offending tendon sheath, I’ve not noticed any significant improvement. It’s still very painfull to play for more than a few minutes. Trying to work through it, only exacerbates the pain.
Surgery to remove or loosen the sheath that’s effecting the tendons, and I’m a very reluctant to undergo the procedure.