"Slower" speed of Reels

"Slower" speed of Reels

I like the playing of Kitty Hayes and other players from Clare a lot, especially the "slow" / beautiful speed she plays the reels at. Any other similar players of reels, from Clare or elsewhere?

Re: "Slower" speed of Reels

Mary MacNamara on concertina

Mick O’Brien and Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh (pipes & fiddle)
Brian McNamara (pipes)

Well, slower is a relative term. A commonplace opinion you will hear expressed is that the Clare musicians play at a slightly more relaxed pace. If you listen to Micho Russel´s playing the speed is more paced for relaxed social set dancing. Kitty Hayes, playing along with Peter Laban is a good example of this. I think Junior Crehan´s playing isn´t in ´the Speed Merchant´ category either.
I would urge you to seek out some recordings of Paddy Fahy playing some of his own compositions and contrast his delivery to the manner they are often encountered at sessions. Getting first to the finish line isn´t the only path through this music.

Brid O’Gorman

Posted by .

I was so mad when I found out Flying Home to Shelly isn’t typically played slow and haunting but as a bouncy, fast reel.
I still play it slow.

‘Pat O’Connor and Eoghan O’ Sullivan’s 2009 recording "Conversation at the Crosses." ’

I second that… and third it… and fourth…

The Queally Sisters album "Beyond the Bellows and the Bow", lovely relaxed style.

You will probably enjoy the album of Martin Quinn and Angelica Carberry. Really relaxed playing on Banjo and box.

One album which I find have a laid-back approach is Comb Your Hair and Curl It - perhaps it isn’t slow in BPM terms (or as slow as the above suggestions), but it doesn’t feel rushed.

Early Martin Hayes stuff was very laid back tempo-wise.

Actually, one ex-member here joked that he needed the Amazing Speeder-Upper!

Also, try to find the recording of Eileen Ivers playing "Maudabawn Chapel".

She said on the liner notes words to the effect "its melodic beauty asks that it be played slowly."

I do own the CD, but can’t get to it as it’s in storage. Sorry.

Kathleen Conneely —The Coming of Spring album. Lovely relaxed playin’.