ITM tattoos

ITM tattoos

Today I was standing in line at the post office when I noticed a woman in front of me with what looked liked a tattoo of a whistle with hands and fingers playing it. I was tempted to ask her about it but she seemed to be in a hurry.
I love the idea of an ITM themed tattoo, or at least a musical note tattoo or some such. I have three tattoos but none are music themed.
How about you?

Re: ITM tattoos

I don’t have any tattoos at the moment, but that sounds neat! Certainly better than having one with someone’s name whom you might eventually break up with! I think in your position, if I knew someone had whistle tattoos (I’m blind so somebody would have to tell me), I wouldn’t be able to resist asking!

Myself I haven’t got any, they are every where now and everyone who has them seems to have a reason to do so and that is entirely up to them. I used to have pictures cut from magazines of my favourite pop stars on my wall when I was a kid, I certainly wouldn’t want them on my walls now but they meant the world to me then.

I once had a girlfriend who was entirely tattooed with absolutely exquisite fine needle work. She had been subject to some pretty horrific surgery in her past and had used the tattoos to reclaim her sense of ownership of the markings of her body. The humongous scaring had been entirely and very, very cleverly made into a work of art.

Celtic style tattoos have sadly in some cases and happily perhaps in other had modern interpretations placed on them. In Europe some neo nazi idiots are appropriating the symbols as a measure of their arian bigotry whilst the triskel has become a symbol of polygamy, wicca and non gender specific sexuality.

As for instrument tattoos I’ve not seen that many really, these days I don’t get to see the variety of bare flesh I did a couple of decades ago! If you’re into it why not? The usual things people say are that it speaks to them and then it’s down to price and the artist. In all matters artistic though taste is very subjective and more often than not you pay through your teeth to possess it.

I don’t care what ideas or meanings people wish to attach to their tattoos, it shouldn’t stop people from getting them, it doesn’t mean they are nazis, and who cares if someone thinks you are gender fluid due to a triskel tattoo?
The Australian and Eureka stockade flags have been hijacked by nationalists and racists but should I choose to fly one I would (if it weren’t for the union jack that is, I probably would). We do need a new flag though..

Back to the tats please, before we get in strife!

I think Michelle Mc said the most pertinent thing regarding this business in her original post: ‘what looked like a tattoo of a whistle’.
That’s the thing with tattoos!!!!

"I love the idea of an ITM themed tattoo, or at least a musical note tattoo or some such. I have three tattoos but none are music themed. How about you?" Michelle Mc.

I have no tattoos or piercings and have never felt the need to obtain one. I play the pipes and flute, and, if asked, will happily talk all day about piping, flutes and Irish traditional music, but have no urge to advertise this to all and sundry. Why would anyone? Seems a mite juvenile, and attention seeking to me, but we’re all different, so whatever turns you on

I’ve never had the notion to get a tattoo.

Yes, they are more socially acceptable these days but it’s the permanence factor which puts me off…. Yes, I know you can get them removed at a cost and a scar.

I’m never understood why more people don’t wear "transfers" instead if they are so keen. It used to be fun when we were in school. I’m quite sure they could be designed and developed to appear almost like real tattoos and so as they wouldn’t wash off immediately..i.e. in regular bathing etc.
They could be replaced every so often as required or removed altogether when the novelty wears off!

After all, we don’t wear the same clothes all the time although I do have one or two good jackets and coats which have lasted me for years. I still alternate them with other garments though!
Likewise, most women(and some men) will have a variety of jewellery but will probably not wear it all on a daily basis with the exception of, perhaps, certain items such as wedding rings and so on.

There was a funny incident a few years ago where someone wanted a tattoo in Irish and had "An bhfuil cead agam dul go dti an leithreas" writ large on their back — the tattooee was under the misconception that the words meant "You will forever be in my heart" but it’s a phrase most people in Ireland remember from their school days meaning "May I please go to the toilet."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/this-has-to-be-the-most-unfortunate-irish-language-tattoo-ever-439124.html

Bring on the liquid crystal tattoo implant!

I have no desire to adorn my body with anything other than that which naturally grows out of it (and clothes - whose primary roles are warmth and modesty, decoration being a very minor consideration). But if I had such a desire, I would probably want to be tattooed with my favourite tune. Since that can change from week to week, day to day, moment to moment, I would need some way of changing my tattoo at will. I expect there are engineers and scientists already working on it as I write, but some form of flexible screen, implanted just below the epidermis, connected to a storage chip and the internet would make it possible to download and display the tattoo of your choice at the drop of a hat.

Sorry - Have I just destroyed an entire industry?

@joe fidkid: Very useful if you happen to belong to a silent monastic order in the Gaeltacht.

When I was a kid, only sailors and bikers had tattoos. Those were not the best examples of art (anchors and anchor chains or hearts with an arrow through them were prevalent) and the wearers did not represent who I thought I wanted to be when I grew up (pilot/musician). Later, I noticed that the tattoos tended to fade and distort as the wearer aged. My plans for what I wanted to be likewise faded and distorted as I aged.

Meanwhile the art has come a long, long way. I hope fading is no longer an issue.

But still "No," for me, although I did get a really good henna tattoo (lasted about a month) during a retreat in Thailand some years back. I forget what it was but it drew a lot of compliments. It was not a flaming tenor banjo, which it might be today if I had one.

The idea of having a few bars of a favorite tune is a fun idea—you will no longer have any excuse for not being able to start it (depending on where it’s placed).

I am a bit of a traditionalist so the only tattoo I have is on my shoulder: "Mom" within a heart with an arrow through it.

The thread reminds me of the old joke: What do you call a beautiful woman on a banjo player’s arm? A tattoo.

Matt

I can’t imagine what kind of social pariah I’d become if I got a banjo tattoo. Especially explaining that it’s not what you think: it’s a tenor banjo…

Back in the 1960s when I was a student (showing my age now!) we were confidently and categorically told by the VD consultant to check the WR of any "lady" with tattoos, as she was bound to be a "lady of the night" or a single word to that effect! (Translation of acronyms by personal message if you don’t get the gist.)
Things have moved on since then, but later in my career, I just remember all those people who came along with tattoos they regretted having done, and wanted removed: our local plastic surgeons could do it by laser, and if you could prove you were really distressed by the offending tattoo, you’d get it removed under the NHS (UK National Health service). Later, they decided, correctly IMHO, that such things amounted to being "self-inflicted" (maybe not literally) and could therefore only be removed through private healthcare, and were not to be subsidised by our NHS.
My current hairdresser is also a tattoo artist, but strangely enough I’ve never been remotely tempted! (Not even for a wee bodhran on my arm!)

You could always tattoo your goat skin (preferably after the goat is dead).

Posted by .

My first bodhran does have a pretty picture on it already!

I find tattooing to be bizarre and a likely source of deep future regret.

I loath them.

Posted by .

Well, its been 15 years since my third and last tattoo and I don’t plan on getting any more. I don’t regret any of them but i wish I had a trad one just the same..

I’ve got a sinister black arrow on right leg. Was done to prevent surgeon from replacing wrong hip…. At least it’ll wash off eventually. Wouldn’t mind replacing it with a shamrock?

When I was stationed in San Diego with the US Navy, we had any number of shipboard Marines going across the border to Tijuana, getting totally blitzed, and not being able to explain the artwork they found on their bodies the next morning. Put me off from the idea totally.

Oh, Susan.
They gave me actual tattoos prior to me receiving radiotherapy three years ago. Just very tiny dots which I probably wouldn’t be able to find now but I’m sure they’re still there.
🙂

My ex had a naked girl wi legs hanging out a wine glass ( did when about 17). He regrets it - a cheapo.

A lovely girl in Kirkwall is covered in tattoos. Beautiful artwork.

Not tempted, myself, but I once worked with a guy who had a tattoo of a harp on his arm, copied from the Guinness label. The strings came out kind of blotchy, and he admitted to some regret over that.

I am heavily tattooed. Im 60 now and i still like them. tbh many of my tattoos have aged better than i have 🙂 I have an a Hohner 4stop melodeon tattooed on my calf. It was done by a local artist and handpoked (not with a tattoo machine) the detail is remarkable.

I’m not against them, in fact, I’ve got a lot of ideas for them (music-related and otherwise). For some reason, I’ve never had enough of an inclination to actually contact the appropriate practitioner and go about getting them done (which I’m grateful for, because some of the ideas I had in my 20s were extremely dumb…). Perhaps one day, when I’m less lazy.

@Susan K. I suspect many people now in their 20’s getting corporate logos, Nike and Air Jordon are popular, band names/images and cartoon/movie characters will feel the same regret.

"because some of the ideas I had in my 20s were extremely dumb…" - … um … that is the main objection many people have to tattoos in general, I believe …..

AB- those are very cool and simplistic. Time and amount of ink would be minimal so it should be cheap.
I’m more inclined these days to design trad art work and portraits. My mental health is dodgy though and I haven’t had the courage to paint for 15 years. The idea of combining art and ITM is rather motivating though.

I have a friend that plays bass and has a bass clef tat on his upper arm. He didn’t get it until he was 65…I guess by then he figured he was not going to give up the instrument…

I have 3 and a list of 4 more. I have a shamrock on my arm, celtic cross on my leg and my fiddle on my back with shamrocks around it. I love the all!

I have a good handful of tattoos and one is ITM connected, albeit obliquely. I’m a tin whistle player and I have the alchemical symbol for tin tattooed on my arm.

Mate of mine wanted a tattoo on his back. He was a big fan of Paul Weller. He went into the tattoo parlour and asked them if they could do a tattoo of that bloke from The Jam.

Now he’s got an excellent rendering of the Robertson’s golliwog on his back.