Tune id tah!

Re: Tune id tah!

And why is that?
After a little more research I’ve discovered that the first tune, which is the one I’m after, is ‘Padraig O’Keefe’s slide’.

Neither of the 2 tunes is any of "The Blackbirds". See first comment here : https://thesession.org/tunes/1844
Sharon’s own sleeve notes on her 1st solo CD say :
2. "The Blackbird"
"This selection is made up of two tunes, the first is a slide called "Padraig O’Keefe’s", and the second is a cajun tune learnt from Mary Custy and Eoin O’Neill, called "The Happy One Step".
Why she didn’t just list the 2 tunes under their respective original names I have no idea. Listing them as "The Blackbird" only causes confusion - as is the case here.
Hope this answers your query.

Posted by .

And why is that ? Just listen it’s obvious.

It’s already been proven to be trad. The first tune I mean, so I don’t know what you’re on about.

The title of "Padraig O’Keefe" would certainly suggest "trad", but how has it been "proven" ? The sleeve notes give no indication one way or the other.

Posted by .

A tune having come from the repertoire of Padraig O’Keefe is generally trad credentials enough, irrespective of whether it was composed within his lifetime (by P. O’Keefe himself?) or passed down to him from earlier generations of musicians.

Of course, having P. O’Keefe’s name attached to it does not guarantee any association with him - tune names frequently get mixed up. It is possible that Sharon Shannon composed the tune in the style of a Sliabh Luachra slide and named it in P. O’Keefe’s honour; it is also possible that she learned the tune without a name and thought that calling it ‘Padraig O’Keefe’s’ was a safe enough bet. We really need to set up a discussion between the Sliabh Luachra experts and Sharon Shannon herself - prime-time TV material!

"Why she didn’t just list the 2 tunes under their respective original names I have no idea. "

I don’t know Sharon’s reason but it has become the trendy thing for younger bands and musicians to do in recent years. i.e. giving a title to a set of tunes as opposed to listing the names individually. That’s fair enough if the tune titles are actually included in the notes but that’s not always the case.

Sometimes, the title may have a significant relevance to the set of tunes. Often, it will have a more esoteric meaning or even just be an "in joke". Whatever the thinking, I’ve always found this practice quite irritating.

Sharon Shannon is a lovely musician who happens to explore beyond some of the fixed ideas about what is not universally acceptable in this trad paradigm. She was the first Irish musician I met and I have nothing but good things to say about Sharon. No offense to Kenny. He too is brilliant & I hope ITM has sufficient depth to appreciate Kenny & Sharon Shannon in this community.

Peace now & keep playing sessions.

Posted by .

Very flattered to be even mentioned in the same sentence as Sharon Shannon. Just to be clear, I wouldn’t have a bad word said against her. She came to Scotland on a Comhaltas tour in the 1980s. A friend of mine asked her if she might record a few tunes for him to learn. About a week later he received a cassette tape Sharon made for him in her kitchen. I think I still have a copy of that tape. Sure, she moves outside the tradition to make a living as much as anything else, I suppose, but at the end of the day, she can go back to playing Irish traditional music as well as anyone, any time she wants.
https://youtu.be/k7TVNo4dCW0

Posted by .