Australian Friends

Australian Friends

How are you doing? We’re hearing and seeing reports of the terrible fires and hoping you’re all right. Best wishes and prayers for you and yours.

Re: Australian Friends

Thanks Tracie. Yes it’s been a hard and scary summer. I’m just glad I play my fiddle by ear because it could get hard reading the misc through the smoke. I HAVE to say this though…..
I realize that you should never justify one disaster or evil by measuring it against another, but I wish the world could keep things in perspective before sending their money over here. All that does is save our Government from doing what it should (and they fail badly). Just remember that 22,000 children around the world die from poverty every day. And far more people died in that crowd stampede in Iran yesterday than have died in the Australian bush-fires. I don’t want to start any political discussion here, and I appreciate you asking, but these things disturb me more than the threat of fire (and I live right in the middle of a forest).

Posted by .

Gobby— very well said. I appreciate your comments very much. My pal Chris Ghent, concertina maker, is very calm despite the imminent threat to his house.
I don’t think that your post is political - unless every time we express an opinion we make a political statement. I live in a country with enormous responsibility and very little accountability. Now *that *is political. No apologies.
David

Thanks David.

Posted by .

I hope all of you are safe Down Under…and I agree with David about your statement, Gobby.

I just hope our poor banjo frogs make it…

Thank you for the kind thoughts Tracie. Where I live, in the sub-tropics, we’re usually pretty safe from events such as this as the summer rains arrive before temperatures get too high. They’re absent again this year so everything is tinder dry. There have been some big fires but so far I’ve only been affected by smoke.

Further south a number of folkie friends have been forced to evacuate and then start on the recovery process. They’re all safe and, as far as I know, haven’t suffered any property loss. One lost her house in last year’s fires though.

The aid response has been amazing but Gobby makes a good point. It seems that the issue now is getting the appropriate aid to those that need it. Clothing and food donations have been overwhelming; too much to be sorted. The major organisations have received millions of dollars in very generous donations but I wonder how these are making it through to the affected communities.

"Where I live, in the sub-tropics, we’re usually pretty safe from events such as this as the summer rains arrive before temperatures get too high." Best of luck to you when you next get flooded mate.

Posted by .

I’m so glad to hear that many of you are safe, and admire you all for staying positive.