Nightingale low f whistle

Nightingale low f whistle

Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience with a Nightingale low f whistle by A.Karavaev ? They sound pretty good in the video.I’ve been thinking about getting the MK ,but the nightingale has a nice whistle tone,less flute like.

Re: Nightingale low f whistle

Dont know about the low F but I play both a low G and low E from him. Especially the G is outstanding. I am sure the F would be grand!

Posted by .

I Googled this whistle and the page comes up as not secure and one is advised to close the page immediately.

A couple of months ago I met A.Karavaev at a festival here in St.Peterbourg and talked to him (I know him for about ten years) and played a number of his whistles he brought to sell there. There was an F low, but, as far as i know he has two models of Low Fs - narrow and wide bore. The wide being made just from the same tubing as his low E, Eb, D and Cs. This model is very interesting but it is definitely not loud, so it isn’t a session whistle, it has wide fat sound, beautiful but somewhat fluffy due to wide bore and quite a wide windway. The air requirenent is above average. This is a kind of problem for all his low models since the backpressure is low and there are players who don’t like it. I told Sasha (Sasha - standard contracted form for the name "Alexander" in Russian, not Alex) about it and he is well aware about but can’t do nothing to vary backpressure on this stage of his manufacture development as it involves complete changing of technology of his fipple making.
As for his low Fs, the wide bore model may be very good home or solo instrument, but hardly a band or session whistle. The narrow (standard) model (it must be it on the vid above) has denser and more penetrating tone but has the same low backpressure and higher air requirements.
If you are used to low whistles like those of colin goldie and the likes you’ll probably find low AKs difficult to play.
Be ready to that.

Thanks for your input , As a beginner on the low whistle I’m leaning toward the MK