Irish Islands and their Tunes

Irish Islands and their Tunes

"Inisheer" (tune by Thomas Walsh) is a lovely waltz. Was wondering if Inisheer is one of the Aran Islands ("inish" must mean "island" cf "Inishfree" and "Inishboffin". Aran easily confused with Arran (Scot. island).. is it "Aran Boat Song" or "Arran Boat Song"?

Any other good Irish island tunes popular at sessions? Or lesser known ones? Thanks.

Re: Irish Islands and their Tunes

Bank of Ireland, Star of Ireland, Trip to Ireland, Ireland’s green shore, Ireland forever … There are many tunes about the island of Ireland

Man of Aran is about four islands.

The Blasket of Turf

Beare Island
Scattery Island
Clare Island Boat Song
Spike Island Lasses
Rathlin Island
Lady on the Island?

I didn’t mean the Island of Ireland, I clearly meant Irish islands. Far better answer from Loughcurra, thanks.

Waves of Tory

Susan, Inisheer is the name of one of the Aran Islands. The main ones are Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Iniseer. These are the anglicized spellings.

"CMO" - "The Man Of Aran" , as far as I know, was composed by Darach de Brun {RIP} for a pub in Dublin. Where do you get "four islands" from ?

Posted by .

I believe Altan’s song Donal agus Morag was written about a wedding feast on Rathlin Island

"Where do you get "four islands" from ?"

Inishmore, Inishmaan, Inisheer and Man.

Sorry.

Erin grá mo chroi

Right, 4 islands of Aran, thank you, would like to visit. Synge who wrote "Playboy of the Western World" spent time living in Aran. I think he was keen on the music.

Cheers Andrew.

Susan K "Right, 4 islands of Aran"

No, it’s three* islands of Aran and The Isle of Man.

*There might be other small islands within the Aran archipelago but those three are the only inhabited ones.

There’s eight altogether. Two of the small ones used to be inhabited by lighthouse keepers (Rock Island and Straw Island), but the other three are far too rocky and barren to support human habitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3osbMiYo5oI

Posted by .

Anyone know where Inishboffin is? Re Rathlin (off Ballycastle, N. Ireland), thanks for tune suggestions. (My bro in law was scared witless crossing to Rathlin in a v small boat…). Then there are lovely islands off West Cork (nearest I got was Baltimore where I played piano in a bar and the barman turned off the piped music, that would be pretty rare in an English pub from my experience!).

Many thanks for everyone’s input. Much appreciated.

Regarding Inish Bofin/Boffin there is two, one in County Galway and one in County Donegal.

Posted by .

Huh, I know Inisboffin as being the little island at the south side of Inisbofin by the harbor, where the ruins of Cromwell’s Barracks stands. (As a side note, Will Harmon and I did some nice hiking and had some nice tunes out on Inisbofin a few years back… A really nice memory!)

2 Inishboffins? So am not the only one to find the name delightful…

Inishboffin—what a cute name! 🙂

Visited Rathlin Island on our last trip to N Ireland, last June. The boat was a bit bumpy halfway across but OK as long as you remained seated! Lovely day over there, checking out the lighthouses and RSPB site, and did see a couple of the local golden hares. Unfortunately, we were there the wrong night for Ballycastle sessions.

@Yhaal House: If that’s Inishbofin, Vince O’Halloran’s a giant.

Hi Susan!

Sorry to be a little tardy in reply.

I thought you might like the names of some of the islands mentioned, and their meanings, ‘as gaeilge’, as opposed to their Anglicized versions.

You are quite right in saying that ‘inish’ (Anglicized) means island.

Inishmore
Inis Mór
Big Island

Inishmaan
Inis Meáin
Middle Island

Inisheer
Inis Oirthir
Eastern Island

Inisbofin
Inis Bó Finne
Island of the White Cow

Inishfree
Inis Fraoigh
Island of the Heather

You might notice that the last one hears a resemblance to a certain drop of malt emanating from Scotland? Laphraoig! The Irish and Scottish words for Heather are very similar.

In answer to your question, I have played The Achill Air for about 45 years. I found it in The Ancient Music of Ireland by Bunting.

That’s written
Oileán Acaill

All the best
Brian x

Ooops! Sorry, I should have qualified my remarks.
I have a fascinating book by Deirdre Flanagan and Laurence Flanagan called ‘Irish Place Names’ which contains this wonderful information.

It’s absolutely amazing!

All the best
Brian x

I don’t know the Achill Air but Achill Sound has a wild something to it. I suppose the sound isn’t the island itself so this is cheating? https://youtu.be/fLjEqwZ3rkE