"Free Reed" players - suggestions needed please

"Free Reed" players - suggestions needed please

The "Button-box & Moothies" weekend is returning to Aberdeen, Scotland in October this year. It focusses on players of button-accordions, melodeons, mouth-organs and jews harp as played in the British Isles and Ireland.
Still very much in the planning stage, we are considering who to book as guests for concerts, workshops and sessions. We would appreciate - and will consider - any suggestions for guests. Who do you think we should be booking, and why ? Over to you.
Thanks in advance. Kenny.

A couple of "Youtube" clips from a previous event :

https://youtu.be/ocV8uX-4pR4

https://youtu.be/gCbm_qjXxRE

Posted by .

Re: "Free Reed" players - suggestions needed please

One wee comment on dates Kenny - October is the Mod as well which is Inverness this year so if you’re able to get the dates right you might be able to catch a few of the Gaels while they’re a train ride away.

Posted by .

Tim Edey please?
Saul Rose, Sharon Shannon, John Kirkpatrick, Fergie MacDonald, Julian Sutton, Leo McCann.
(May not all be within budget, but all good players.)
Usually features concertinas too: not on your list, Kenny.
Great that the event is coming back! Been to them all so far.

Focus on the one row melodeon in honour of the passing of Johnny Connolly
Invite Johnny Og Connolly
Bobby Gardiner
Emma Corbett
And Brendan Begley
Just an idea

Posted by .

Thanks Trish for pointing out that I had omitted concertinas - we will be including Anglo- and English system players.
I won’t be commenting on any individuals, but thanks for all of the suggestions above. Most of the names were mentioned at the initial meeting, but there are a few names there I need to check out.
Thanks for the contributions so far. Keep ‘em coming.

Posted by .

Another vote for Paddy Callaghan for those of us of the B/C persuasion!
Norman Mackay or Robert Nairn for the big 3-row Stradella bass boxes. (Correct me if I’m wrong about the basses!)

My suggestions are getting more like a "dream team", but have failed so far to mention the likes of Andy Cutting, Robert Harbron, Brian Peters, Steve Turner.
Any idea yet which weekend it might be?

Possibly the first weekend 2nd / 4th - I should be able to confirm mid-week. Thanks for suggestions.

Posted by .

I love so many of these musicians, very excited about this now! Karen Tweed is Scotland based now so might be a good call?

You might try Darren Breslin or Daithi Gormley, they’re both tremendous musicians and I think are involved in South Sligo Summer School and/or Comhaltas.

Colm Slattery, John McCann, and Michael Curran are all great as well, though I’m less familiar if they’ve teaching backgrounds, etc.