The Merry Blacksmith in 1960s Pop?

Re: The Merry Blacksmith in 1960s Pop?

You have a point. ๐Ÿ™‚

I got Judith Durham’s autograph after they played at The Playhouse on their farewell tour during the nineties. Lovely lady.
๐Ÿ™‚

Very similar, there is a reel being played in sessions called "The new found out " it’s a setting of The merry Blacksmith.

Erm… transposed to D:
A2dA BAFG|A2dA BAFG|A2da BAFG|A2A4||

Is there a G in the first phrase of Merry Blacksmith?

I sang this song a few months back as the weekly dose of cheese at our otherwise exclusively tunes session.

Watch out.
Someone might decide that it could be a good idea to submit this "setting" complete with lyrics to the tune database.
๐Ÿ™‚

I think first step though is to have Jeremy add two new tune types - Pop3|4 and Pop4|4. Any takers for championing that request?

@ gbyrne - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
๐Ÿ™‚

Well, they used other folk tunes in their songs, so why not this one?
"The Carnival is Over" uses the Russian tune "Stenka Razin", and another Russian one (I think!) is the basis for Mary Hopkin’s hit with "Those were the Days".
Like gbyrne’s suggestion!

What I mean is, go ahead and use trad for your pop tunes, but don’t put the pop tunes on this site! ๐Ÿ™‚

it would be very nice to know, how the seekers got that tune…
I assume it wasn’t standard that people knew Irish reels in the mid 60s Australia und England

I don’t think it came from The Merry Blacksmith. It’s just a little guitar lick played thrice.

Around that time was the height of the Folk Music Revival and it wouldn’t surprise me if that guy had heard Irish music there in Australia, where he picked up a version of The Merry Blacksmith.

About it being a coincidence, I’ve come round to the belief that there are no coincidences in music, or very few.

As an aside I don’t think that lick works particularly well in that song, which I feel would have been stronger without it. Sometimes things that bands imagine are cool ideas sound gimmicky or unnecessary.

There’s a 1920s jazz song called Borneo that’s usually done with a certain intro, but when I heard a local jazz band play Borneo without the intro (starting instead with the main theme) it sounded much stronger to me.

It sounds more like the The Earls Chair to me

I always thought the opening phrase of Diamonds Are A Girl’s Best Friend came from The Sally Gardens.

Posted by .

Now it makes more sense to me!

I looked up the songs recorded by The Seekers and they include

Leaving Of Liverpool
Wild Rover
Whiskey In The Jar
A-Rovin’
Danny Boy
Bheir Mi O Ro Bhan O/Gradh Geal Mo Chridhe/Eriskay Love Song

They also recorded a half-dozen sea shanties, and a few pop covers, and some originals, however the bulk of their work was folk and spirituals/gospel.

Irish descent there, maybe a clue:

wikipedia:
"Tom Springfield (born Dionysius P. A. O’Brien,[1] 2 July 1934,[2] and known when young as Dion O’Brien) is a retired English musician and songwriter from the 1960s’ folk and pop music scene. He is the brother of the late pop star Dusty Springfield, with whom he performed in The Springfields."

and ref Dusty:
"Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O’Brien OBE[1] (16 April 1939 โ€“ 2 March 1999) … Springfield was born Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O’Brien on 16 April 1939 in West Hampstead,[6] the second child of Gerard Anthony "OB" O’Brien (1904โ€“1979) and Catherine Anne "Kay" O’Brien (nรฉe Ryle; 1900โ€“1974), both of Irish descent.[7] "

Posted by .

Above, ref the tune "A World of our Own", written by Tom Springfield (sorry, thought someone had mentioned that already).

Posted by .