Anyone for Celtic Connections (Glasgow 2020)?

Anyone for Celtic Connections (Glasgow 2020)?

This year’s festival kicked off last night, and I’m heading that way this afternoon.
The first concert booked is a recital by my favourite Scottish fiddler, Duncan Chisholm, but have included a number of Irish artists (or players of Irish music) in later concert choices: Stockton’s Wing, Dervish (and friends) and the Friel Sisters.

Otherwise it will be mainly tribute concerts: one for Rick Taylor, great trombonist, jazz musician, composer, arranger, tutor and thoroughly good bloke. And the other to celebrate the singing of Gordeanna McCulloch, Anne Neilson and Maureen Jelks. Sadly all of these 4 people have been taken from us in the last year.

Re: Anyone for Celtic Connections (Glasgow 2020)?

I’m not sure if I’ll manage this year.
It’s not the festival it used to be but I also got out of the habit of going over the last few years for various reasons. They also haven’t bothered to send me a programme this year either.

There are certainly many good people appearing but I should be able to see most of them elsewhere over the next year or so. However, there does seem to fewer really exceptional overseas acts compared to previous years.

I looked at the programme on line as well. Thus is the 1st year I haven’t received a programme in the post.
Two gigs booked: The awesome Lau at the city halls next week and the Lost Words/Spell Songs collaboration later in the year.
I usually go go a few gigs every year but I didnt see much to interest me this year.

Had quite enough of Glasgow last weekend at Jimmy McHugh! Four days of (almost) continuous sessioning is sufficient Glasgow for a while!!!

I’m there for three days for next Thursday. Maybe see you at "Skye in his Heart" (Rick Taylor tribute), Trish.

Well, so far so excellent! And more Irish with the first band on last night at the Concert Hall, the Seamus Egan Project. Duncan Chisholm + Innes Watson was exquisite as expected, and Breabach went down a storm, with various guests including half a dozen or so extra pipers making a couple of appearances.
Yes, Donald, will be at "Skye in his Heart": I think there will be quite a number of us who enjoyed his Skye and Beauly workshops!

I moved back to Glasgow in Feb ‘19, missing out on Celtic Connections. This year I’ve had to contend with a broken hip. HOWEVER, this afternoon I did get into town, managed to busk with my fiddle long enough to earn £2 (not possible to stand for very long (I prefer standing to play). Haven’t got a programme so I didn’t get to a gig. Hobbled around on 2 sticks which meant I walked a fair distance, swallowing pain-killer en route.

I did catch sight of a musician with guitar on back. On his head were 2 large pointy horns (whether hair or fabric I cannot say - pied ie one red and one dark grey or black). I know he was foreign as he came into café where I sat - in order to change money - and I heard him speak.

Trish : as I didn’t collapse with exhaustion I’ll have another go at walking round town, perhaps midweek. Wld be nice if we could meet.

Don’t know if I can be arsed going into the city centre but I’m around during the week — more inclined to stay in the West End bubble, though. Disappearing at the weekends, so missing all the weekend gigs.

I might try to get to the Cathedral bar session (Babbity’s temporary replacement) next Wednesday.

Glad you managed to get out and about a bit, Susan. Would be nice to meet you sometime Dr SS, but I’m mainly there at weekends, when you’re not!
Absolutely loved the Stockton’s Wing gig, apart from:
1) Having not realised that it was classed as a "standing" concert: sure it didn’t say that on the website at the time I booked the tickets months before, and on the tx it just said "Unreserved"! It did say that in the paper brochure, but as Johnny Jay said, they don’t send you one any more, and I only got my hands on one a week before.
There were about 6 rows of seats occupying less than half of the floor space, so there was plenty of room to put in more seats for us 70+- aged people (who remember the heyday of Stockton’s Wing) and who had to stand/prop ourselves up on old beer barrels throughout! A couple of side benches were fully occupied by people’s COATS, and said owners stood in front of them. so no point in sitting there if you wanted to SEE the band in action! I hate selfish and inconsiderate people!!!
2) Having our enjoyment also spoiled by those who think a standing gig means you can just talk in loud voices throughout! And this includes members of the support act……………………Grrr! just DON’T!

Dervish were magnificent as only to be expected, and had some great guests, including Peggy Seeger, whose main concert we had missed by going to Stockton’s Wing!! And the best rendition of "Parting Glass" EVER!
And spent 3 lovely nights at House of Song (where tunes are allowed too!) with Saturday being the highlight as being Doris Rougvie’s retiral from being long-term hostess of said event, with many friends attending to pay tribute.
Hope to be recovered in time for my next concert on Thursday.

A shorter stay last weekend, but there for the Rick Taylor tribute concert, "Skye in his Heart", which was magnificent, totally as expected it would be, and then the totally brilliant Friel sisters on Saturday night: great support from "The High Seas" with some great concertina and step-dancing.
Burns Night in "The House of Song" but took most of a round of an hour and a half before anyone sang a Burns song! Then 2 in a row, just like buses!
Great set from Brian Peters at the Glasgow Ballad Workshop (not part of the official festival) on Sunday afternoon, with "Flooers o’ the Fairest" concert in the evening: emotional and very fitting tribute to 3 of Scotland’s finest trad singers, Gordeanna McCulloch, Anne Neilson and Maureen Jelks: see the whole concert on the TMSA Facebook page: (crazily long link!)
https://www.facebook.com/TMSAScotland/videos/206150520430062/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARCfUI5Mdck-hKHl5A4L_Ynfsq0UynmfzX-UTyH4HqKUV2oKoYH6mbKK-vRgJUnUAh1YsL0NK88YY37D
And I’ve spent all evening playing and replaying the live stream from the Cherish the Ladies concert, whcih I couldn’t get to, but is also available online thanks to modern technology (take note all you Facebook naysayers!) https://www.facebook.com/cherishtheladies/videos/168595854481673/