Aengus group

Aengus group

I have an old vinyl LP issued by Tara records in 1978 by a group calling themselves Aengus, consisting of Tony and Jackie Small and Garry O’Briain, with guest artist Maurice Lennon on fiddle. The album seems to me classically great, one of the best Irish music records. Whatever happened to these guys, and why didn’t they become better known?

Re: Aengus group

Um, Maurice Lennon went on to play with that little known group, Stockton´s Wing. 🙂
Jackie Small has been busy, at times, as the sound archivist for the Traditional Irish Music Archive.

Thanks for the information.

The only other album I can find by the Aengus group is an album of Christmas songs, which seems to be out of print.

Tony Small played with Wild Geese for years, as well as performing on his own and with friends. He passed away in Galway in 2013.

Jackie Small lives in Co Mayo, Ireland and can often be seen at sessions here playing his accordion.

Thanks again for the information.

The Aengus vinyl LP is listed as still available from various sellers on the Amazon (US) web site. There doesn’t seem to be a CD. If anyone reading this is in the music industry, I think this would be an excellent candidate for CD and/or on line reissue.