Please critic my YouTube tunes video

Please critic my YouTube tunes video

Hi, all.

I’d be grateful if people could have a look at my video of 2 tunes played on cello and provide useful criticism.

https://youtu.be/uNmWjlWzFpI

The tunes are: Callum’s Road / The Hut on Staffin Island. I will be playing these this weekend at a Burn’s night supper.

I know these are Scottish tunes and this site is for Irish tunes; I couldn’t think of a better place to get some feedback so I hope nobody minds. As your comments will relate to folky playing, I suspect that they’ll prove useful to other players in the Irish tradition.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: Please critic my YouTube tunes video

Nice

Very good playing and lovely tone from the cello.
I might play the odd note or two differently here and there but neither of us are wrong.
🙂

I don’t really know Scottish music, but I enjoyed that. Good luck at the gig.

Lovely playing, not sure I’ve ever heard Scottish music played on a Cello but it sounds great.

apparently quite usual back in the days of Neil Gow and Scott Skinner

Glad you like it. I think it works. ITM, on the other hand, I don’t like on the cello. It’s hard to get the lightness of touch required on such a big instrument. Definitely fiddle territory.

Really lovely playing and honestly, no qualms about hearing a performance like that.

If I was going to nit-pick - I’d say in the first tune you could look for the dot/cut and drive them a little bit harder - Calum’s Road is a slow strathspey and the essence of the style is to drag the long note and add dynamic to the short note.

In the second tune, almost the opposite applies - I’d like to see a slightly more legato, even sound, using the timing rather than dynamic for expression.

This fiddle video contains both tunes and hopefully you can hear what I’m talking about to some extent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nkb8Ok74qc

Posted by .

Thanks, Callum - those are exactly the sort of comments I was after.
I love your thoughts on contrasting the styles of the two tunes so it sounds less like one long tune. That’s a great idea and one that I’ll implement.

Lovely! I really enjoy the double stops coming in on Hut on Staffin Island. I was expecting some of those the second time through Calum’s — the switch to the higher octave the second time through just doesn’t seem as satisfying as a big drone pulsing out. Will you be playing solo or with another player at the Burns night?

Really nice. If you want to play it more in the Scottish style you could put in what are called Scottish snaps as the tutor does in the video above. This might be tricky on the cello?

benhockenberry: If I can get some chords organised with a guitarist friend before Saturday then I’ll not play solo.

Billydog: I thought I was doing the Scottish snaps. I’ll try to make them rhythmically clearer. I prefer Swedish Schnapps.

That’s where I learnt it from.