What new trad album releases are you looking forward to this year?

What new trad album releases are you looking forward to this year?

What Irish/Scottish/English/Welsh traditional albums are you all looking forward to in 2020? I don’t know too much about new releases other than the fact that the Welsh group Calan might release a new album this year, but I’m intrigued!

Re: What new trad album releases are you looking forward to this year?

I’m not quite up to date these days and don’t really know about albums until they are actually released.
I usually pick up a few at concerts, festivals and so on although I’ll usually find out fairly soon if one of my "favourite" bands or musicians do something new.
Looking forward to the recommendations though!

Becky Taylor’s new EP/CD "Tune chaser" to be released in February

Last year, Mick O’Brien told me that he was working on and going to release a second album of tunes from the Goodman manuscripts. Don’t know if it will be out this year or not, but I certainly hope so. The first record is one of my favourites ever.

https://thesession.org/recordings/4340

Is the Goodman manuscript album available anywhere as a download? CDs aren’t much good to me these days as my laptop doesn’t have a CD player. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Maybe not exactly in the category requested, but the first four LPs of Oscar Brand’s classic 1950s/1960s recordings "Roll Your Leg Over - Bawdy Songs And Backroom Ballads 1955-1958" is being reissued on CD by Jasmine Records in February. People of a certain age who were folkies at an uncertain age will remember this fondly. I found it listed as forthcoming on Amazon (US.)

Also perhaps not exactly what was asked for, but of interest to vinyl fetishists: the Topic Treasures reissue on LP of Anne Briggs’ 1971 classic of all classics album "Anne Briggs," with the original liner notes by A. L. Lloyd, reportedly released this month (January 2020.)

Dr. S.S., it’s not on iTunes; haven’t looked anywhere else. I bought it on CD when it first came out several years ago, but now I’m in the same boat as you - I no longer have a CD player or a computer with a CD/DVD drive. I hadn’t thought about that until now!

Thanks for all the replies. Re-issues are great too!

I gave it a Google and only found links for buying the CD. Doesn’t look like they’ve made it available in MP3 format. Shame.

@DrSilverSpear, I agree it’s a shame that things aren’t always available in mp3. (And that when they are, and you haven’t brought them, they are sometimes taken off for no reason).
Such a shame that many modern-day computers don’t let you plug in a cd drive. I’m going to have to make sure when I get a new one that it still has one. That’s why re-issues are so great too.

You can get an external CD drive with a USB connector for your laptop or any other computer that doesn’t have a CD drive. A quick glance at Amazon here in the USA has several for $30 USD.

There are still a few trad artists that release new albums first on CD a few months ahead of releasing on MP3 through the usual outlets, to make a small income before the much smaller micropayments kick in for digital downloads. Like the most recent Matt Molloy and Sylvain Barou CDs I bought last year. You get the benefit of printed CD liners and booklets with more info than you’d ever get with a digital download.

While it lasts, anyway. I know this format is on the way out, but it’s worth supporting while it’s still there. An external USB CD player isn’t a big investment.

Apologies for my confusion on my last post. I have a USB cd drive probably similar to the one Conical Bore is describing, but I had thought that posters who said their computers didn’t have one implied that the cd drive wouldn’t fit into their computer.
I think the idea of releasing a cd for a few months before putting out the digital album makes perfect sense. I didn’t know that, but that’s a really smart idea especially considering that YouTube topic videos are free and the artists get nothing from YouTube viewers listening (I would assume).

I still always try to buy CDs and vinyl (with a free download peferably). If there isn’t one, I’ll make a digital copy myself. Just for new purchases as I’ve given up converting my back catalogue. I’ve got plenty of equipment still to play old CDs, vinyl, even cassettes and mini discs(!) although if I want one of my older albums "for the road" I can always do this as and when.

Also, on the occasions when I purchase a download or MP3 album only, I usually make a CD copy. I’m still old fashioned that way. 🙂

I realise that the format is on the way out but, thankfully, I’ve still got good equipment and machines. Even an excellent "reel to reel" tape recorder which I seldom use these days.
However, I don’t think we need to worry about being stuck as there will still be facilities and a limited number of CD players, turntables etc being manufactured and available. They call it "retro" or something silly like that these days. 🙁

That fiddler-piper combo— Mick O’brien and ___? Those guys are the cream of the crop and it’s been a bit since Deadly Buzz. Come on gents…

"That fiddler-piper combo— Mick O’brien and ___?"

Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh? Do they have another one in the pipeline?

^ I dunno ^ but would be great. My faves. No backing instruments and no drums = AHHHH

Slightly "tongue in cheek" but perhaps it will be my own? I have written a good number of songs and tunes over the years, and am getting on a bit too, so might be the time to call in a few favours and good friends and get some of them down on a CD before CDs disappear! I have bought such CDs from other friends who had the same idea.

Good idea, Trish and the best of luck. I also have written quite a few songs and tunes, and apart from me airing them at pubs and cafes, they remain virtually unknown.

The ability to promote one’s music is a pretty important skill. I often think that the fame one achieves with music does not always reflect its quality. I can remember a frightful popsong many years ago which I thought sounded like a rattling bath chain, somehow it got into the charts I believe (though it has sunk without trace since, admittedly). Ah well…. A cd containing music by me was made by our composition/songwriting teacher in Kirkwall in 2003, I still have that at least, me on piano mainly, + a tenor singing my song.

Johnny Jay recommended a Scottish singer, Hannah Rarity, with a beautiful voice. She has made a cd with orchestral accompaniment I think. I wish she’d make another with, say, fiddle and piano, not too many musicians. I think I’d prefer that for traditional music.

A couple more I’ve seen references to:

Folk Songs Live from North East Scotland (The Gaugers, Shepheard Spiers & Watson, and The Spiers Family.)
Apparently recorded at the Portsoy Festival 2019. Not sure whether this is forthcoming or recent. Couldn’t see a label designation.

The Haden Triplets Family Songbook. American traditional folk. Just out this month from Trimeter Records.

Maybe not exactly on topic, but some may be interested in knowing about the recent (2019) The Smithsonian Folkways Collection: Pete Seeger. Six CDs and a 200 page book.

Maurice Lennon & Friends just came out with a new CD. It’s just out so I’m not sure of availability. Can’t wait to get a copy. Hope he sells a million!