fully keyed flute with f sharp on first finger.

fully keyed flute with f sharp on first finger.

Is there such a thing?

Re: fully keyed flute with f sharp on first finger.

Unclear specifically what you are asking… xxx xoo fingering with the right index finger down will give you an F# on essentially all standard wooden flutes as would be used in a session, keyed or not. Are you talking about an orchestral Boehm system flute?

There were a number of fully-keyed flutes featuring xxx xoo = F# made in the period immediately after Boehm brought out his new design. Some were simply fully keyed simple-system flutes, others had Boehm-like interlocking to facilitate fingering and were therefore considerably more complex. Names like Carte, Clinton, Radcliff. I’m not aware of anyone making them today, although I do remember someone reworking a modern Boehm flute to give it that F# fingering.

Let us know if that doesn’t answer your question!

The Rudall Carte 1967 system has the F# on the Right hand first finger. In this, is is the same as the standard wooden flute system (see Michael Eskin’s post above) but there are some significant differences as well. I think it was an interesting system that would probably have suited folk players, but in the end it was not taken up as the prevailing model and it was Boehm’s system that came to dominate the field, leaving us folkies with the keyed or keyless simple system.

Posted by .

If you mean fingering XOOOOO F# would be there on flute in A. George Ormiston makes fully keyed flutes in Low A.

Posted by .

The Radcliffe is the most notable of what you are asking about. With some minor differences, it is essentially like a Boehm flute with an R1 F#. If you are interested, I have one that I no longer play. PM me for details.

Posted by .

Er … crucial typo in my posting above. For ‘1967 system’ read ‘1867 system’. Sorry if that’s confused the issue, jimmimoran.

Posted by .

I’d love to have my old Armstrong Model 90 converted to first finger F#! Haven’t played it in 30 years. Had it completely adjusted, repadded, and been in the case since. Pre-trad days.