Is sponsorship necessary for a successful festival?

Is sponsorship necessary for a successful festival?

Re Ennis Trad Festival/Derrygonnelly losing their funding. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Why are the sponsors pulling out? I’m just back from Gurteen where there are no invited muscians paid to host sessions, or should I say gigs! The village was overflowing with great music all weekend, with everyone made to feel welcome. Will musicians still travel to Ennis in November? Of course they will! Will it make for a more inclusive weekend? My guess is that it will.

Re: Is sponsorship necessary for a successful festival?

Ballyferritor Co. Galway
hmmmmmmm…. Jimmy where you too drunk to remember where you where!!!!!!

phhhhtttttt! see u tomorrow!!!!
(Got me skin back) bring the horse playing cat!

Posted by .

Stick to the original topic please Jim! Getting back to original thread - this (cuckoo)festival also has ‘gigs’ arranged in various pubs as opposed to ‘open’ sessions. Give me Gurteen/Drumshanbo/fleadhs any day where musicians play for the sake of sharing their talents, not because they are getting paid for it.

Musicians dont go to the likes of Derrygonnelly because they are getting paid - they go because they love the craic. It does, however, make a bit of a difference for those on low wages to be able to get free lodging and a small contribution towards their drink money. It’s also about the recognition and hospitality.

Our crowd will all be down at DG for the festival again this year and I would bet my bottom dollar that it will be every bit as good as ever.

While the invited musicians are ‘assigned’ a pub slot to play a session they are not in any way closed. Anyone can join in. This applies to the likes of Dungarvan as well.

Sponsorship also means that small towns and villages can bring the very best musicians to their locale and allow people to hear groups etc that they might otherwise never be exposed to.

I think that removing assistance is a short sighted and backward step. Hopefully the sponsors for DG will stump up for the festival committee again next year and prove their committment to the promotion of the tunes.

Yo Jim, why do you assume its ‘Mr’ Clontarf!!!