adding tunes in different meters

adding tunes in different meters

The discussion about tunes in 5/4 got me inspired to add a tune or two, but when I’ve started the "add a tune" sequence it forces me to select from a dropdown menu, each with a built-in meter.

I selected "march" even though the tune I wanted to add isn’t a march, because there are marches in many different meters (including 5/4) but when I did the program preselected 4/4 as the meter and wouldn’t allow me to change the meter or anything else. It would only allow me to add the body of the tune, in a box underneath the preselected header.

Since I see that others have added tunes in 5/4 there must be a way, but I’ve not figured out how.

Re: adding tunes in different meters

I’m keen to know this too…perhaps it’s a new "feature" (the drop down list of predefined time signatures)?

If you want the time signature to be, say, 5/4 then put
[M:5/4]
at the start of the first line of your abc submission.

If you want to change time signature at any point then just put the new time signature in square brackets at the start of the bar to which it applies. So, for example, if the time sig changes to 3/4 for one bar, put [M:3/4] at the start of that bar and then [M:5/4] at the start of the next to change it back to the original time sig (continuing the example from above).

Thanks!

It says to only put the body of the tune in the window, I didn’t know that it would allow me to put other headers in.

It will if you put them in square brackets. After all, sometimes you need to change time sig or key within the body of the tune. Using square brackets is how it can be done.

Whoa there! Getting crazy now. Should we double the length of the C part of Butterfly #15? I have a feeling Jeremy’s not going to be keen on what I just did in there… ;)

I can see what you mean by getting crazy and about Jeremy not liking what you did benhockenberry, but I quite like that. Good fun, I thought.

Posted by .

I have changed a tune metre - as suggested above - when a tune is found in, say, both 3/4 and 4/4. (often a very old tune can have more than one time sig.)

And as our band accordionist says "you can turn any tune into a waltz" - we do it sometimes just for a laugh!

For sure Susan and Trish there are songs heard in 3/4 and 4/4 and it’s very easy (too easy) to slip from one to the other.

Star Of The County Down (aka KINGSFOLD) is one example. I’d always heard it and played it in a flowing 3/4, but "Celtic rock" bands invariably play it in 4/4 (to fit their pounding boom-chuck drumming) and of course the Hymn tune is in 4/4.

One often sees the 3/4>4/4 shift in Scottish music. There are loads of song-airs that pipers play in 3/4 that are also played in 4/4 for Scottish Country Dancing (the steps of which all fit four-beat phrases).

(However in the piping idiom waltz-like tunes that non-pipers would write in 3/4 are inexplicably notated in 6/8.)

re KINGSFOLD, I didn’t know it was aka Star of the County Down. Hymn-tune Kingsfold is trad. tune harmonized by Vaughan-Williams (for English Hymnal?)