Changing the settings of a file to be downloaded

Changing the settings of a file to be downloaded

When I was downloading a file, I accidentally chose a PDF (Adobe). How do I change it back to ABC Navigator?
Thank you for your assistance.

Re: Changing the settings of a file to be downloaded

Don’t change it, download again as ABC.

Dear KKrell,

I tried that, but, unfortunately, it just keeps attempting to download as a PDF (Adobe file). Adobe cannot read the file as a PDF.

That doesn’t sound right. If you go to "Tunes" in the session menu bar and search for something like "The Sally Gardens" ( https://thesession.org/tunes/98 ), the result will show a button on the right-hand side "DOWNLOAD ABC" for the entire page of tune entries plus each separate tune on the page has a "DOWNLOAD" button. I’ve never seen those buttons do anything but download abc data. I can’t even find an option anywhere to download a PDF file. The downloaded file will have the .abc at the end of the file name. If you try to open that with any pdf reader it will be garbage so use one of the abc editors available to open the file directly. Don’t use Acrobat Reader or something of that ilk.

Open the file with notepad (or any suitable text editor). If it looks like abc code then try changing the file name to *.abc and see if that works with an abc editor.

Export the pdf to a text file. If necessary go to adobe and use their online utilities. Now get the app Á la mode, for example, and view the file, then save it. Sometimes various abc editors have trouble with raw text files. Á la mode doesn´t seem to. After you save it it will then be a true abc file.

callison, thanks for alerting me to the "Download ABC" button. I’ve used The Session since its early days and never used it. Instead I’ve scrolled through the versions and copied the abc for the version that seems closest to what’s played here.

Clicking the "Download ABC" button, then opening the file, I can scroll through in EasyABC and quickly see the dots and hear the version.

Thanks for the tip!

Dear Callison,

Yes, I tried that. Unfortunately, it continues to come up as a PDF (Adobe file). Adobe cannot read the files.

jfhumphrey

Dear The Pianist,

I need more information. How do I open the file in another program when I cannot open the file because it keeps being downloaded as a PDF (Adobe file)?

jfhumphrey

@jfhumfrey. Where did you download the file from and what operating system are you using?

Open notepad. Go to open. Select all files (*.*) rather than text files (*.txt) open your pdf file and see what it looks like.

Having read the various answers and gone through the process myself, the only thing I can think that you might be doing is clicking on the ‘Print’ button which will indeed download a PDF.

" … clicking on the ‘Print’ button which will indeed download a PDF." Not for me on Windows it doesn’t (what it does do looks very clever). Is the OP downloading the PDF from here or somewhere else?

" … clicking on the ‘Print’ button which will indeed download a PDF."
Not directly - you’re right there, David50; but the print dialogue box (in Windows) has a ‘Destination’ options drop down menu, one of which is ‘Save as PDF’. That is my default as I rarely ever actually print anything. (Can’t be doing with all that paper.) The other destination options are printers, cloud drives etc. depending on your setup. So for me, clicking on the ‘Print’ button will always first offer the option ‘Save as PDF’. If, when you print, you always go for a hard copy from the printer, then you may not be aware of the ‘Save as PDF’ option.