Seamus Creagh’s Tunes for Practice in mp3 format

Seamus Creagh’s Tunes for Practice in mp3 format

Does anyone know of a site where Seamus Creagh’s 2CD set Tunes for Practice can be purchased in downloadable mp3 format? I am in a place with unreliable postal service and no CD player anyway. Can only find a couple of places offering the tunes and these only in CD format (Ossian and Custy’s). Thanks, Chet

Posted by .

Re: Seamus Creagh’s Tunes for Practice in mp3 format

Those are the CDs, but cac is looking for digital copies… I also didn’t find it anywhere digitally, so your best bet would be to buy the CD and rip it into mp3s. There was another discussion about this 10 years ago, and back then the release had its own webpage, but it no longer exists. https://thesession.org/discussions/22112

I googled cd ripping service and got this: https://www.dmp3digital.com/
I have no connection to them but they may be able to assist you. Their fee structure appears reasonable.

Thanks postie. Their fee structure is reasonable, but I could create mp3s myself from the CDs if I were where I could trust the post to deliver them to me and if I had a CD player. That what I’ll do in several months, but where I am right now (in Africa) I have no CD player and don’t want to take a chance with the post. I’m not that handy with searching the internet and was just hoping that someone more adept than I am would be able to locate a site which offered the option of downloading mp3s. I’ve often wished Custy’s would do that because I prefer the mp3s anyway. I have an old computer with a CD player that I use to make mp3s from, but just not with me right now.

Posted by .

Unfortunately, it’s not up to Custy’s to convert things to mp3 to sell, because they don’t own the content. And the people that own the licenses for that album would have to pay to get licenses for digital copies. It’s possible that you could find someone here who would be willing to rip copies of it and send them to you, but converting CDs to digital files is only permissible under "Fair Use" for your own personal use, and it’s not legal to transfer those to someone else… It’s a bit more of a grey area with older recordings that are out of print, but still not exactly on the up and up…

And what, you don’t feel like lugging an old computer around Africa with you? I can’t imagine why not! 😉

The reason I suggested the ripping service was because you would have ownership and control of the cd´s and this would eliminate all DCMA considerations since the service enables your personal archival rights. But, since your circumstances are apparently temporary and subject to change…
Over my career I have accumulated anecdotes, amusing, strange, and bizaaro involving third world postal systems. Africa is a strange Continent, digitally speaking. With almost no infrastucture, yet in places approaching 4G internet access. Orange is wondrous.

An ethical solution would be to purchase the CDs online and have them shipped to someone you trust who would rip and send you the mp3s but hold onto the CDs for you till you have a mailing address. Maybe even someone on these boards would volunteer for the good of advancing ITM around the world!

Posted by .

Hi @jond, I was just about to suggest the same thing exactly. @cac, send me a message and I will buy them for you and send you the MP3 files. Cheerio!

I’ve purchased mp3/m4a files from the iTunes store and CDbaby and assumed that Custy’s could simply contract with the artists whose albums they sell to offer the contents in mp3 format as well as in a physical CD. But there is probably more to the matter than this. It did not occur to me to ask for what jond and Andrew Bernard have offered to do, but I am grateful to them for their offers. By coincidence someone else has contacted me by a message and offered to do the same and that has been arranged. It is wonderful that in addition to information about tunes, recordings and the playing of the instruments we play, thesession facilitates such things as the information and assistance shown in this topic. Thanks everyone. Chet

Posted by .

Best of luck! I’ll be playing along too, as I’ve just ordered the Creagh CD’s — I wasn’t aware of them prior to your post, although I now see they’ve been favorably reviewed here. -Jon

Posted by .