Don’t Stop Believing

Don’t Stop Believing

Sitting in the waiting room for my daughter’s Irish dance class. The polka currently playing has a piano intro that is definitely just Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing.”

Re: Don’t Stop Believing

"Don’t Stop Believing" that spring will come - ugh foul and cold and wet in Glasgow.

Didn’t mean anything to me either: looked it up. Yes, 4 chords will get you anywhere: probably one too many for an Irish polka!

It depends on the particular Irish polka your playing.

G / D / Em / C / repeated ad infinitum over Rakes of Mallow? Sounds possible, though slightly horrifying.

X:1
T:The Rakes Of Mallow
R:polka
M:2/4
L:1/8
K:Gmaj
|:"G"GB GB|GB c/B/A/G/|"D"FA FA|FA B/A/G/F/|
"Em"GB GB| GB d2|"C"c/B/A/G/ F/G/A/c/| BG G2:|
|:"G"gf ed| Bc d2| "D"gf ed| Bc A2|
"Em"gf ed| Bc d2|"C"c/B/A/G/ F/G/A/c/|BG G2:|

You really only need two chords—three if you want to get fancy. In the words of Woody Guthrie, a great song only requires "three chords and the truth" (obviously Woody is from the fancy school of composition). When did this newfangled FOUR chords thing get started? Hmmnnnph. What’s next, jazz?

Yes, same thought occurred to me after I’d posted that joe fidkid! But goose is right too!

I do enjoy spotting musical easter eggs in recordings - I’ve noticed a few over the years but the only one I can think of at the moment is the intro to one of Danu’s albums, which has the intro notes from Star Trek: g ^c e ^G. Doubt it’s a coincidence…!

Posted by .

The one that gets me is the start of Flower of Scotland: same as the start of Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves from Verdi’s Nabucco: I have been known to play the latter for sheer devilment!

It wasn’t just the chords: the baseline was the same too.

Bassline*