OT- if you are in the engineering sciences, what instrument do you play?

OT- if you are in the engineering sciences, what instrument do you play?

My son just asked me an interesting question- If you are in the sciences, specifically engineering, what instruments do you play??? I’m a mechanical engineer by trade, but play uilleann pipes (play being an operative word here) and fiddle. One of my ME work mates plays sax, and all sorts of EE play guitar. If we get some good numbers we could graph it and do some sort of analysis (geek is a word that comes to mind here)

Posted by .

Re: OT- if you are in the engineering sciences, what instrument do you play?

Hi I_Fel,

Elec eng here, former electronics designer of communications equipment, now re-badged as a systems engineer.

Instruments played (with varying degrees of proficiency): guitar, mandolin, modern (metal) flute, recorders (F&C fingerings), crumhorns, viola da gamba, keyboards, classical organ, fiddle. Sing a bit, too.

(Some one did a survey not long ago on borrowings from Fisher Research Library at Sydney Uni and found that most of the borrowers of musical scores and books were doctors and med students, which I thought was interesting, not least because Sydney Uni does have a large-ish music department!)

Posted by .

If submitting other engineers’ details on their behalf is OK for your survey, I can add that other EEs that I have played in bands with played the following:

Drums (ex-violinist)
Bass guitar and piano
Piano and rock/pop organ
Guitar, metal flute and sax.

Posted by .

Oh, add a recorder player, another bass guitarist and two church/classical organists to that list.

Also, one of Oz’s pro-level theatre organists is a biomedical engineer.

Posted by .

EET Test engineer - Uilleann pipes and a bunch of other stuff now gathering dust. Lots of guitarists, drummers and keyboard players in our plant.

I don’t fit the engineering sciences, but I am a physicist that consults in radiation protection and measurement. My instrument of choice - whistles.

Cheers
Simon

Posted by .

I’m a Telecomms lecturer and play fiddle, guitar and mandoline.

Posted by .

As I work with transgenic fruitflies, would I be considered a genetic engineer?

:~}

I’m a biology graduate in fact.

I play flute and dabble on box.

I know an EE student who plays the guitar - not ITM though. I suppose that you’d want to
put the penchant for ITM as a variable in your analysis. You can also widen the research to neighboring professions, i.e., mathematics. We mathematicians often think that we have a different mindset than engineers. Wonder if this can be corroborated by an analysis of musical taste (probably not). I’m playing ITM on the whistle, I also know a math’er who plays jazz trumpet and one who plays classic/baroque on the recorder.

I am feeling quite left out. I am not in the least bit engineer-ish or mathematical. But I do play harp and fiddle. I have a BFA in painting if that adds anything to your research.

My friend Lorna is an engineer and she plays harp. A co-worker of hers plays flute. Lorna’s engineer husband doesn’t play any instrument.

Posted by .

Maths and physics, but the nature of my job took me well into engineering, chemistry, chemical engineering, and metallurgy. My instruments (in order of learning) - piano, cello, church organ, classical guitar, fiddle. A head-count of musicians in one session in Bristol identified (apart from me) a university lecturer in chemical engineering, a professor of biometrics, a professor of sociology (not exactly a science, but never mind :)), a medical doctor, an industrial chemist, a physiotherapist, and an osteotherapist.
The orchestras I play in seem to have enough medics to constitute a small hospital department, from nurses to full consultants.
Trevor

Head of Consulting Engineering Co. here.
Wood Boehm system flute.
Wood simple system flute.
Metal Boehm system flute.
Whistles.

Electrical Engineer here (also a degree in Physics). 15yrs in semiconductor test. (Anyone in Ireland want to offer me a job?)

Play wooden flute. Played rock, blues, and folk on electric and acoustic guitars for many many years before becoming smitten w/ ITM.

Relevance to ITM? It was my job which sent me to Ireland for a 7 month assignment several years ago. If not for that I would still be head-banging Audioslave and crooning Wilco ballads. ;-)

Well, if you count computer science as a science, put me down for Anglo Concertina, keyboards, and I’m working on the Harmonica (since it finally gives me an instrument I can play when stuck in traffic).

mechanical/control systems engineer here:

fiddle

well, if software engineering counts (which it shouldn’t!) then one sweng/fiddle player here.

Posted by .

I’m not an engineer but I work with them. I make music by banging their heads together.

Posted by .

Computer engineer.
Fiddle, guitar, and a bit of banjo.
Snorre

ME - Fiddle, Mandolin, Anglo Concertina, Bouzouki, B/C Box, Guitar, Bass.

I had a few tunes with a computer engineer (flute) last night. Does that count? We have an EE at some sessions that plays guitar/mandolin. I have a student who’s an EE who plays box.

On the other hand, the largest group of professionals in the acoustic music scene here (Calgary, Oil Capital of what? Canada?) would be various kinds of geologist. I once played in a six-member group where I was the only non-geologist. And no, we didn’t rock.

Posted by .

Bren- must be in program management ;-)

Posted by .

Here in our session we have a bio engineer (DNA sequencer) who plays bouzouki, mandolin, whistles and guitar. Also a refugee from the nuclear physics Ph. D. program who sings, plays tenor banjo, mandolin, guitar and piano.

I hope you there are enough results for you to quantify!

stv

Civil / Environmental

Guitar
Bouzouki
Banjo (but too poorly to qualify, really)

Schy

Posted by .

Fel, I must admit I found it very odd that we were both into cycling, worked at engineering firms in the same industry and played Irish music, I wonder what the statistics on that would be, probably in the six sigma range, haha!!

I am pursuing civil engineering who happens to have a degree in theology and I work for a company that specializes in Electronic and Systems engineering…yeah I don’t know how it all fits together as well. I play tin whistle and Irish flute amongst many other instruments, french horn, sax, piano, guitar…etc.

somehow this happens to me all the time; I’m on travel for work, I drag a co worker into a pub ( after hours, of course) kicking and screaming cuz its not his kind of music, find people playing and somehow we manage to find a common person…6 degrees away from knowing everyone on the planet.

Posted by .

Have just remembered another EE acquaintance who plays classical guitar, lute and theorbo.

Posted by .

Well, if being a grad student in computer science qualifies, you can put me down as a former violinist trying to learn the fiddle.

I also play the monitor (it’s a percussion instrument).

Fel - no I’m talking about real (i.e mechanical) engineers. C’mon, software doesn’t count!
I interpret the human world to them and vice versa. Clever guys but you couldn’t let ‘em loose on a customer.

Posted by .

well some social skills can certainly be lacking, but we’ll fix in firmware lol

Posted by .

What do you call an engineer who looks at your shoes when he/she talks to you?

An extrovert.

Hee.

Okay. I’m a land surveyor, NOT an engineer. Don’t need no stinkin’ round stamp to play the fiddle.

I thought that went:
what do you call an engineer who looks at his shoes when he talks to you??

An introvert

Ba-dum-ddum

Posted by .

An Electrical, Mechanical and Civil Engineer are asked to tighten a large nut.
The Electrical Engineer takes out his pliers and strips the corners of the nut.
The Mechanical Engineer selects the correct size talk wrench and tightens the nut to its ideal tightness.
The Civil Engineer hand tightens the nut, and leaves it to rust solid.

PP

Talk wrench? Do you mean torque wrench?

Sarry Ime juss beeanna peedint.

No, Conan, I think he means a talking wench.
Trevor

All wenches talk; that’s all they do all day, as far as I can see. Tautology, anyone?

It is misogynist Friday, btw, and this next lot is meant to be tongue in cheek!!

22 things that make you feel like a man:

1, OPENING JARS - nnng, she’s struggling. You take it from her hands, open it effortlessly and pretend she loosened it for you. She didn’t. Jars are men’s work.

2, CALLING SOMEONE ‘SON’ - Especially policeman but even saying it to kids makes you the man.

3, DOING A PROPER SLIDE TACKLE - Beckham free kicks? Wussy. A Stuart Pearce tackle is the pinnacle of the game, simultaneously winning the ball and crippling the man. Magic.

4, SHARPENING A PENCIL WITH A STANLEY KNIFE - Blunt, is it? Hand it here love. No, I don’t need a sharpener, you think I can’t whittle.

5, GOING TO THE TIP - A manly act which combines driving, lifting and - as you thrillingly drop your rubbish into another huge pile of other rubbish - noisy destruction.

6, DRINKING UP - Specifically, rising from the table, slinging your coat on and downing two thirds of a pint in one fluid movement. Then nodding towards the door, saying, "Let’s go" and striding out while everyone else struggles to catch up with you. God, you’re hard.

7, HAVING A THIN BIT OF WOOD - in the shed, solely to stir paint with.

8, HAVING A SCAR - Ideally it’ll be a facial knife wound, but even an iron burn on the wrist is good. "Ooh, did it hurt". "Nah".

9, HAVING A HANGOVER AND THICK STUBBLE - When birds have been partying they just whinge. You, on the other hand have physical evidence of your hardness, sprouting from your face. "Big night?" Grr, what does it look like.

10, NODDING AT COPPERS - A moments eye contact is all it takes for you to share the unspoken bond. "We’ve not seen eye to eye in the past", it says, "but someone’s got to keep the little scrotes in line".

11, USING POWER TOOLS - slightly more powerful than you need or can safely handle. One Handed with a pencil on the ear? Superb.

12, KICKING A FOOTY AGAINST A GARAGE DOOR - Clang-g-g-g-g-g-! Stitch that Becks, I kick so hard I set off car alarms.

13, ARRIVING IN A PUB LATE… and everyone cheers you. It doesn’t mean you’re popular, it just means your mates are pi**ed. However, the rest of the pub doesn’t know that.

14, NOT WATCHING YOUR WEIGHT - fat is a feminist issue, apparently. Brilliant. Pass the pork scratchings.

15, CARVING THE ROAST - and saying "are you a leg or breast man" to the blokes and "do you want stuffing" to the women. Congratulations, you are now your dad.

16, WINKING - turns women to putty. Doesn’t it?

17, TEST SWINGING HAMMERS - ideally, B&Q would have little changing rooms with mirrors so you could see how rugged you look with any DIY item. Until then, we’ll make do with the aisles.

18, TAKING OUT £500 FROM A CASHPOINT - okay, so its for paying the plumber (or a ‘quiet one with John Sams) but with that much cash you feel like a mafia don. The only thing better is peeling notes off the roll later.

19, PHONE CALLS THAT LAST LESS THAN A MINUTE - unlike birds, we get straight to the point. "alright? Yep. Drink? Red lion? George, it is then. Seven. See ya."

20, PARALLEL PARKING - bosh, straight in. first time.

21, HAVING EARNED THAT PINT - Since the dawn of time, men have toiled in the fields in blistering heat. Why? So, when it’s over we can stand there in silence, surveying our work with one hand resting on the beer gut while the other nurses a foaming jug of ale. Aaaah.

22, KNOWING WHICH SCREWDRIVER IS WHICH - "a Phillips? For that? Are you mad, bint?"

*running swiftly for cover*

Civil engineer

I play banjo mostly, with a bit of mandolin and guitar and a bunch of other stuff.

A roughneck (oil rig hand), an engineer and a physicist ar egiven three ball-bearings and told to make something with them.
The engineer says "I’ve arranged them with a bit of plate into a clever low-friction transport device."
The physicist says "I’ve made a 3d model of an atom".
The roughneck broke one, lost one and sneaked the other into his bag to take home.

(You had to be there).

I was a roughneck of course. Very few roughnecks survived the early years (1970s)of the North Sea with all fingers intact. Fortunately (and against all odds I later realised) the first other roughneck I worked with was also a mandolin player. He showed me how to tuck my fingers working heavy iron in so that I could bring joy through music to future generations. I will one day.

Posted by .

hey Bren- I have a buddy of mine here in the states doing designing stuff for oil rigs in the north sea. I thing he even did time out there during an installation of one of his pipe handling machines. See what I mean about 6 degrees

For the lifew of me you’d think I’d remember the company he worked for.

Posted by .

I_Fel : probably Varco.
One of our engineers in So-Cal played mandolin pedal, steel and banjo with the Dillards and Flying Burrito Bros.
Might be less separation than six even.

Posted by .

Network consultant….
took me 25 minutes to type this!

Bodhran
banjo
flute

and still none the wiser

eggs cept
paid for network sheidt!!

Posted by .

Bren-oh that’s scary- I do know a bunch of guys at Varco, after the latest ethnic cleansing, will find out who’s left

Posted by .

well, geez.. if you’re going to put two of my favourite subjects in one thread, I guess I *have* to de-lurk : )

[hi everybody!]

back on topic, for anyone keeping track:
I’m a systems engineering student, and I’m *trying* to play the fiddle, and sometimes guitar. My roommates are systems as well - one plays the piano, and the other guitar.

Pat

shields are lowered captain, she’s uncloaking off the port bow

Posted by .

Physicist working as IT trainer/mentor. Not sure if I fit the description, but, in order of proficiency:

Boehm system flute
Recorder
Low whistle / penny whistle
Guitar
Piano

Posted by .

Fineman
Oh dear, me old eyes are tired after a long drive home in the dark from London. I misread your job title as "IT tormentor" :)
Trevor

Trevor - it torments ME, I torment them. Hmm I think I feel a new business card coming :-)

Posted by .