Does anyone know of non-Irish friendly sessions in Ireland (e.g. Scottish, Canadian, Breton tunes)?

Does anyone know of non-Irish friendly sessions in Ireland (e.g. Scottish, Canadian, Breton tunes)?

I enjoy playing Irish tunes as well as tunes from other "Celtic" regions, especially Scottish and Canadian. I live in Dublin (Ireland) but haven’t managed to find (using Google) any live sessions here, where non-Irish sessions take place or where non-Irish tunes are regularly played/welcome. It is quite common to hear Irish tunes on trad sessions in Scotland and other countries but the other way around doesn’t seem so common.

Posted by .

Re: Does anyone know of non-Irish friendly sessions in Ireland (e.g. Scottish, Canadian, Breton tunes)?

I’ve certainly heard non-Irish tunes being played in sessions in Ireland (specifically Dingle and environs) though they tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

I think that Irish-only sessions tend to be more common (and more strictly enforced) outside Ireland.

Re: Does anyone know of non-Irish friendly sessions in Ireland (e.g. Scottish, Canadian, Breton tunes)?

All the Irish musicians I know, which is not just a few, are open and always keen on hearing and playing tunes from other cultures.

Posted by .

There have been old-time (Appalachian) sessions in Galway and Scarriff, Co. Clare (with Johnny Moynihan and Lina Ullman), I believe and a Bluegrass session in Sligo. There also used to be a klezmer/Balkan session somewhere in West Cork. I have no idea if any of these are still going.

Unless everything has changed since I was in Ireland (2002) there were indeed trad sessions in Clare & Kerry where non-Irish tunes were played.

Posted by .

"It is quite common to hear Irish tunes on trad sessions in Scotland and other countries but the other way around doesn’t seem so common."

Irish music seems to love its own company - which suits me fine. But I enjoy tunes from other traditions as well and am happy to join in with a more ‘cosmopolitan’ session. In my own experience, attitudes vary from session to session, both within Ireland and at ‘Irish’ sessions outside Ireland. Some have a tight knot of regulars that have their own particular way of playing together, so that someties even a visiting Irish trad player can feel like an interloper; others will welcome anyone to do a turn, whether or not it is something that others can play along to - sometimes, the more exotic, the louder the applause. And then there’s everything in between.

Visiting Glengarriff, Co. Cork, some years ago we visited a weekly session in a bar where they played mostly English tunes. There were a few English musicians living in the area. It was reminiscent of an English folk club back in the 60’s where first one musician played a tune or sang, and if the others knew it then they either joined in, or listened. Then the next musician started a tune and so on. We found it strange, but went with the flow. We were non-Irish, but they were friendly towards us.

It’s quite a few years since I’ve been to Ireland but I actually found most of the sessions were quite open to some music from other countries especially if you were a visitor. That didn’t mean that they gave you a licence to take over or hog the proceedings, of course.

In fact, I generally found the proceedings more relaxed than in many of the "more serious" Irish sessions in The UK and lesewhere.

However, as has often been mentioned before and CMO above, these are sessions and sessions. There will be some very close knit sessions plus you’ll get many in Ireland these days which are very oganised with paid musicians who will not be expected or encouraged to deviate from a strict Irish repertoire because that’s what the tourists expect.
I remember some of the locals saying that it was best to visit sessions in Ireland during Winter as the music and craic was better and the weather was just the same anyway. 🙂

"Visiting Glengarriff, Co. Cork, some years ago we visited a weekly session in a bar where they played mostly English tunes."

That does not surprise me at all. I went to a couple of ‘Irish’ sessions in West Cork where almost everyone was English. An English-music-playing friend of mine was once in Skibbereen (or Clonakilty?), where there happened to a be busking competition taking place. Having nothing to lose, he entered the competition, playing Morris tunes on his Anglo concertina - and won! Maybe he was the best musician there - or maybe the judges were all English…

Not really on-topic but in 2007 when I stayed in Glasgow for a couple weeks (with a pipe band) I visited a session and their repertoire fascinated me.

I’ve been playing in pipe bands for over 40 years and have a fairly solid hold on the Highland pipe repertoire.

Likewise I’ve been playing ITM for over 40 years.

Yet at this session I listened while for hour after hour they played tunes I’d never heard.

The instruments were the so-called Border pipes and fiddles and guitars.

The only thing I could imagine is that they were playing the recent compositions of people like Gordon Duncan, chromatic tunes unplayable on Highland pipes or Scottish smallpipes but which work well on Border pipes (or keyed flute or fully keyed Uilleann chanter).

When they asked me to start a tune (I had a Low D whistle) I played some fairly common Irish tune and they acted like they had never heard it.

Back on topic, The Corner House in Cork city has an old-time session on Mondays at 10pm.

Posted by .

There’s an old-time session in The Cobblestone, Dublin on Saturday afternoons at 4.30. I’m not sure how open it is. I got the impression that it’s only semi-open, ie, fairly tight knit group that always play together; I think I even saw them with their CDs for sale on the table.

It is my impression that in the parts of Ireland where traditional music is strongest, there is a great reverence for music in general and, although Irish traditional music may be very much the dominant genre, when musicians from other genres do show up, they are treated with the utmost respect and their music listened to attentively. (Of course, this might depend on the visitors being similarly respectful to their hosts.)

http://irisholdtime.com. So there’s the Roadside in Lisdoonvarna Co Clare!this weekend. Andy the organiser certainly used to run an oldtime session in Liscannor Co Clare. on Sunday’s

Posted by .

Javier, just letting you know that the Cape Breton Fiddlers are coming to the Willie Clancy Summer School in Miltown Malbay this year. There will be about 80 of them, I believe, and they’ll be performing at the Éire /Alba concert on Sunday night, and the fiddle recital on Monday night. They’re off to Donegal after that. Kinnon and Betty Lou Beaton are coming, so expect a few of those Mabou wild notes! See you there?

That sounds great Christmas eve , i should be about so we can have a kitchin session though all 80 couldnt fit in!!

That would have been the clonakilty busking festival CMO , west cork is not the center of irish music to say the least!!

I think I know where to find you, Will! Certainly something to look forward to. Take care over there.

Thanks to all for the privileged info provided. The old-time sessions and the visit of the Cape Breton fiddlers sound like having great potential. J

Posted by .