ABC Translation Problem

ABC Translation Problem

The new setup for ABC notation isn’t working for me. I arrange these tunes for fingerstyle guitar using the TablEdit program. (Definitely recommended for you stringed instrument folks out there.) Up until this format change, I could simply copy and paste the ABC notation right from The Session page, go to my “View” option on the TablEdit program, click and there it was in regular notation ready for my bass (and any harmony/chordal additions) to create my guitar arrangements. Now I can’t open the ABC notation to copy and paste. Any ideas?

Re: ABC Translation Problem

Not sure why you can’t open the ABC notation. Are you saying nothing happens when you click on the ABC tab to the left of the SHEET MUSIC tab?

It opens Movie Maker with the message: “Movie Maker does not support the selected file format.” Used to go direct to the ABC notation. Maybe a temporary glitch given the format changes in the site. ABC used to be displayed beneath the notation. As I said, just a simple select and copy into TablEdit and apply the translation option. Now I can’t even get an ABC display.

So what happens if you disable Movie Maker (which I see is discontinued anyway)?

Not sure how to do that. Bit of a Luddite here. No option to remove the program.

Not sure how to do it either as I haven’t worked a pc for seven years (I’m on a Mac). But I don’t understand why you can’t uninstall the program.

Uninstall is not an option for this program. I don’t get it either.

Sounds like you’re using Microsoft Windows? You may have accidentally changed the association between the .abc file type and the program that should be used to launch it. If so, you can change the associated program this way:

https://youtu.be/KIx1W9P_EIg

Thanks Barry. But like I said: Luddite. Not figuring this out as the options don’t seem to be available as per the instructions in the video.????

Hi, Bill
The solution, I believe, is to use the menu option View > ABC-ASCII edit.
Your copied ABC should appear there and when you click the conversion
button, the tune should appear in the display.
HTH Mike

Hi Mike.

Thanks for getting into the chat. And you’re absolutely right re the TablEdit translation prompt. This is what I’ve been doing for several years now with The Session arrangements and it works just fine. The problem is when I hit the ABC prompt with Session tunes now, it no longer brings up the ABC notation. Previously I could just copy, paste and choose the View > ABC-ASCII edit option. Now I can no longer access the actual ABC notation. Since the ABC notation is no longer visible for every piece of music on the site, there’s nothing to copy and paste. Obviously the result of recent changes that now require a command to bring the ABC up. On all other sites I use that employ ABC, everything still works just fine. Jeremy, any options or suggestions.

1. What browser are you using? I just tried it on Firefox, Chrome, and Microsoft Edge and it works for me.

2. Does it happen for every tune you open?

3. When you hover your mouse over the ABC tab, it should show the link in the lower left corner of the browser window, something like “https://thesession.org/tunes/2325#abc1” (the tune number will be different for every tune). Do you see something like this? If not, post what you do see. An easy way to do that is to Right Click on the ABC tab and select Copy Link Location; this will place the link into the clipboard and you can paste it into a message here with Ctrl V where we can all see it. However, if it does look like a normal link to a tune at The Session, well, that’s mysterious behavior for sure.

Walt S., your abc link picked up the closing quotation mark & goes to the tune page.
This should work.
https://thesession.org/tunes/2325#abc1

Bill, can you see the abc notation on thesession.org? If so are you hitting the download button (below it)
on the session to save an abc file?

Posted by .

Someone else was having a confusing time getting the ABC from somewhere (presumbly the the Tunes section here, but maybe not) a few weeks back. Could there be a browser, or someway of customising one, that doesn’t work with Jeremy’s improved way of doing things?

(I suspect that mention of the name is like Aladdin rubbing the lamp)

I am confused by what is actually happening here.

Bill, when you go to a particular tune on this site, above the music there are two tabs that say ABC and SHEET MUSIC.

What happens when you click ABC?

Something doesn’t add up. I’m not sure if the abcs aren’t displaying on the website or if it’s an issue importing and displaying the file in TablEdit.

I have three images of my screen (Windows 8.1) showing abc & sheet music displays for Rathlin Island.
Bill, if you can open the link and look at the images perhaps you can let us know if they are different from what displays on your screen.

Here is the Dropbox link.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e0gtez1iwuofvwx/AACMuGiDIxXVvhROabm4nu-ba?dl=0
Two images are with the abc “tab” displaying. One has a prompt box to Open the abc file in Notepad.
The other has the Notepad with abcs. The last image is the sheet music “tab” displaying staff notation.

Posted by .

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestion.

Basically when I try to open the ABC on The Session page it just doesn’t display. It used to. I would simply “select all” and copy and paste it into the TablEdit “View” option (as MikeM suggested) and click to convert it to standard notation. The problem is with the ABC display on The Session site. It doesn’t display but sends me to "Movie Maker’ which is obsolete and doesn’t work as a conversion option. So, basically, the problem is with some change in the site since I’ve been applying this process successfully for years now exactly a some of you folks have pointed out. For the last 2 weeks, however, it no longer works. Remember, all, that previously the ABC notation was on display for all tunes. (And in that sense the actual tab for opening the ABC was superfluous.) Now it isn’t automatically on display and clicking on the tab for ABC is a required step in bringing it up. That step isn’t working.

Bill, what browser are you using?

When Jeremy made the change I noticed someone on the thread Johnny posted said it is good the sheet music (2nd tab in folder) displays by default. Funny because on my tablet it is the abcs which display.
To switch to sheet music I need to click on the tab.
I’m on Firefox. Do some browsers default to the 2nd folder?

Posted by .

Ben, that’s definitely a question for Jeremy. My (possibly incorrect) assessment is that the page loads into the browser encoded to show the ABC while hiding the sheet music. However, as the page is loading, a javascript quickly switches the view to show the sheet music and hide the ABC. I can actually see that switch happen in real-time in the space of about a quarter second.

All of my browsers support HTML5, which was ratified in October 2014. Are you running an outdated browser?

Hi Barry.

Yes, that nanosecond display of the ABC happens here too.

And, yes, my browser probably needs an update. I’ll work on that.

Maybe Jeremy can make some adjustments at his end?

Right, so when you click on the tab above the music that says ABC, your computer launches Movie Maker?

That is almost certainly nothing to do with the site here, but a setting on your own computer/browser that once did something useful but by chance is being activated here. I doubt we can help with that, but it sounds like the answer is to uninstall Movie Maker and upgrade your browser.

> a javascript quickly switches the view to show the sheet music and hide the ABC.

That’s the JS library that renders the image of the sheetmusic - it doesn’t load and run until the page is complete so you see the pre-rendered version for a moment.

Bill, I think there is an issue with your browser. Which one are you using?

Posted by .

Again, many thanks to all who responded.

It seems there may be a glitch in the site. This morning I can no longer access most of the ABC notation but some of the tunes now appear automatically without standard notation but with the ABC. Jeremy . . . ?

Bill, you may be having computer issues. You should get your PC looked at. It could be something as simple as establishing Edge as your default Internet browser (instead of the defunct Internet Explorer that is also installed with the operating system), and resetting some Windows Explorer defaults. Or you may have something serious going on.

Bill, I’m fairly convinced it’s your browser &/or some internet settings.
You can check on this link to see if javascript is enabled in the browser you’re using.
https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/is-javascript-enabled
If it says YES then that eliminates one potential problem with your internet settings.

Are you using Internet Explorer?

If so this link will give you a few details:
https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-version-of-internet-explorer-do-i-have

Posted by .

Thanks AB but it’s not the browser. I downloaded WE11 and I get the same results. This is a very old computer and it’s becoming very quirky. Setting up a new system next week so hopefully that will produce better outcomes. At least clicking on ABC won’t bring up Movie Maker. Again, thanks to all. On another “note” be well everyone; these are fuscous times.