New site feature: most commonly recorded tunes

New site feature: most commonly recorded tunes

Thanks to a suggestion from David B. Clark, I’ve added a new feature to the tunes section. It’s a listing of the tunes that have been recorded most often:

https://thesession.org/tunes/recordings

You can also filter the list by tune type. Here, for example, are the most commonly recorded jigs:

https://thesession.org/tunes/recordings/jigs

Like the listings of tunes that have been added to tunebooks most often, this should prove useful for anyone trying to find out which tunes are amongst the most popular. I’ve included a link to this new feature from the listing of popular tunes (based on tunebooks):

https://thesession.org/tunes/popular

I hope that this proves useful!

Re: New site feature: most commonly recorded tunes

Thanks, Jeremy. That sounds very useful.

Thanks, Jeremy. Good resource.

But now I wonder which tunes have been recorded the LEAST - or even NEVER.

Right now I don’t know why I want to know that, but it might be one of those "I’ll know it when I see it" things.

I’ve wondered the same, Barry. At least on my end, with a phone using VoiceOver, I see that once you click on a link, you’ll have to keepnavigating through each page until you get to the last one. For example, there are 40 pages of recorded slip jigs, and I think you’d just have to keep hitting "next" until you get to the last page. I might be wrong and there could be a shortcut, but I’m just as curious as you. Having an 8 AM class this morning didn’t allow me the time to do that yet!

Thanks so much, CreadurMawnOrganig. I don’t think I’ve heard of any of these!

It’s a shame that Yvonne Casey’s reel never took off, it’s a nice tune.

Wow— interesting!

@CreadurMawnOrganig, ah, right. Thanks: just cobble together the right http target… I seem to get less geeky or more easily distracted with every new day.

Now to find the diamonds in the rough…

I’m laughing at the fact that on the recording with one of the Y tunes, the slip jig "Your Moment to Shine" there is a tune called "Tinderbox." I know that tinder can be associated with firewood, but as a college student it has a very different meaning to me. And they appear to be a very modern band, so…

very cool feature, but is there a way to actually navigate to either the complete list or filtered by tune type, or can we only access via this discussion thread?

-K

If you go to the "Tunes" section (this here is the Discussions section), you can filter out tunes by choosing the type and key, and can then write in which tune you’re looking for.

kmforst, as I said in my original post:

"I’ve included a link to this new feature from the listing of popular tunes (based on tunebooks):

https://thesession.org/tunes/popular "

One thing that I found interesting is that there are 8160 tunes that have been recorded more than once, compared to 3676 tunes that have been recorded only once. (I would venture a guess that the majority of those were likely written by the people who recorded them).

Maybe even more interesting is that this site has about twice the number of tunes that haven’t been recorded as ones that have! So what are all those tunes? I don’t play a lot of things that haven’t been recorded, other than maybe some of my own compositions…

What might be interesting (and I don’t have the time to do it at the moment) is to figure out what are, say, the 10 most "popular" tunes (from people’s tunebooks) which haven’t ever been recorded…

Jeremy, are you thinking of including the most recorded tunes in the API?

"Maybe even more interesting is that this site has about twice the number of tunes that haven’t been recorded as ones that have!"

This should probably read:
Maybe even more interesting is that this site has about twice the number of tunes that don’t appear on recordings listed here as ones that do!

Fair point, DonaldK. As the recordings and tune archives here are likely to be the most comprehensive lists there are for this music (I could be wrong, of course), I guess I was thinking of them as absolutely comprehensive, but I know that they’re not…

They are pretty comprehensive but, not unnaturally, become less comprehensive the further from Ireland you go.
Speaking personally, I have a lot of Scottish recordings which, again not unnaturally, don’t appear on the database but which nevertheless feature tunes (some of them probably Irish) that are on site.

Reverend, thanks for the reminder—I’ve updated the API documentation now:

https://thesession.org/api

You’d think that with Pigeon on the Gate being recorded that many times I’d be able to start it at a session without confusing it with Drunken Land Lady.

Cheers,

Melany

Posted by .

OBSERVATION:
Pigeon on the Gate is number one.
This is a tune I’ve never knowingly heard or heard of. (I checked the midi to see if the melody was familiar even if the name wasn’t)
Strange!
The rest of the list was all the ‘bleeding obvious’ stuff!!
Perhaps Pigeon on the Gate only popularly exists in recordings (?!?!).

> So what are all those tunes?

I would be interested to know how many tunes in the database here have one setting, appear in no tunebooks (well, cailinrua1’s, perhaps), no recordings, and have no comments.

Posted by .

« Pigeon on the Gate is number one. This is a tune I’ve never knowingly heard or heard of. (I checked the midi to see if the melody was familiar even if the name wasn’t) »

There is no pigeon on your gate? Are there bats in your belfry? You are surely a most unknowingly fellow! 🙂

I know that there are a lot more users on here than these who participate in the discussion forums, and that, even with the diverse variety of tunes, this site is mostly for Irish music. Even so, I find it really interesting that the same tunes always appear as the most common added to tunebooks every week. You’ll always have multiple people adding The Butterfly, and yet when I think of other common Irish slip jigs such as Redican’s Mother, they’re rarely added.

I also find it very interesting when a newly added tune becomes one of the top tunes very briefly. I’d never heard of "Blind Rhinoceros" until this week, and doubt I’ll see it on the list again.

London has no pigeons — Dick Van Dyke scared them all away

Posted by .

They eat them in Glasgow! Google or search on YouTube for "Eat a Doo a Day"!

I find Kevin Burke’s rendition of Pigeon on the Gate from his album "Promenade" beautiful but intimidating. This live rendition from 1982 is equally fine, and the guitar accompaniment by Michael O’domhnaill is sublime, a word I never use.

https://youtu.be/s1M04NH6-8I

"The Pigeon on the Gate" appears frequently in our Stockholm sessions.
So Yhaal House, have you killed off all the pigeons around where you live? 🙂

Irishtune.info has a slightly different list, based on the recordings indexed there.
But "The Pigeon on the Gate" is still #1.
https://www.irishtune.info/top-tunes/

Jeremy,

Found links on Tunes page as described. I don’t think I ever realized the section titles were also links…so it goes.

-K