Help! Defective Clarke Sweetone?

Help! Defective Clarke Sweetone?

Hello, I really didn’t know where else to ask so here we go. I just bought a Clarke Sweetone in D, I got many other recommendations but that was the most affordable one for me at this moment.

I couldn’t find a single store in my city (or the neighbour towns) that sells rin whistles so I had to rely on online purchasing.

Anyway, my whistle came today and I noticed something. When I look inside I can see a sheet of metal standing up. As if after rolling the metal to make the tube they didn’t flatt that part out. I’m sorry if it’s confusing, english isn’t my first languange, so I took photos to help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IwEN56nDPlxU_FdPuldBX_5GyTlSnJtK/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ItsIfEUft1taALwXqT4ozgOM8SbQVwha/view?usp=drivesdk

Anyone that have this whistle can tell me if that’s normal? Is it supposed to be like this or should I worry about requesting the store to exchange/refund? I know some people will say this is a cheap whistle and I shouldn’t bother, but where I live that’s actually really hard to find and so it gets quite expensive due to shipping prices.

Thank you.

PS: this is just a completely unrelated questionand just out of curiosity so i thought it would be better to just ask here han open another discussion, but feel free to ignore. Why do we need to remove the first finger to play a high D? I blew it while having all holes closed and got the exact same note.

Re: Help! Defective Clarke Sweetone?

It’s normal. Mine looks the same.
And -- no, you don’t need to remove the 1st finger. I almost never do it. It also depends on the whistle. On some whistles the second octave D sounds more stable or better in tune without the finger (it’s called “venting”). And the ornament called “cran” will sound more snappy when venting the top hole.

Posted by .

@Sedi Oh thank you so much! I’m such an unlucky person that I wouldn’t be surprised if I got the single one defective whistle out of the bunch, so I’m glad thats just how the whistle looks.

Ah yeah I was so confused tbh because playing Fogy Dew while removing the first finger was so hard and I would always keep it in place by accident, then I noticed the song sounded the same haha, I was starting to think maybe I’m just tone deaf or something haha. Since I just started playing I haven’t done many ornaments so maybe that’s why I didn’t see any difference. Thank you for clarifying for me.

Yep, I’ve had one for I think 17 years, and it’s exactly like yours.

Listen carefully - sometimes the venting can make the note crisper, or perhaps begin more clearly. Perhaps not - as said, it depends on the whistle design. Do what works.

Posted by .

If the metal bits inside bother you (they can sometimes affect the sound) you can file it down with a metal finger nail file if it can be reached. I’ve had to do this a few times to different whistles to improve the tone. It’s definitely helped. Alternatively, if you have a smaller whistle you can insert it into the D to get rid of the metal tags.