Another ‘gan ainm’? More likely my uncooperative memory - - -

Another ‘gan ainm’? More likely my uncooperative memory - - -

Here’s hoping the titles for these will surface, maybe even eventually from the quagmire of my own mind. It’s another one of these "I know I know this, and not just the melody!?" Here first is an earlier submission I’ve made, another barndance/schottische with similar bits:

Gan Ainm Barndance
https://thesession.org/tunes/6041

I was struggling with trying to solve the riddle of an old Clarke C, many years old, that has suddenly gone sour and up popped this old friend of a melody, and strongly swung it is, giving just a quick and partial ABCs for it:

M: 4/4
K: D Major
|: d>e |\
f2 f2 f>ed>B | A2 A2 A>Bd>e | (3fgf e>f g2 f2 | B6 c>d |
e>dc>d e2 A2 | d>cd>e f2 b>f | a>ge>d c>AB>c | d2 c2 d2 :|
|: B2 |\
A2 A>B d2 d>B | A>BA>F D2 F>G | - - -

Is it already here? - maybe in a different key? I’d prefer to have a name before polishing up a decent transcription and submitting it. I don’t remember where I first picked it up or who from, though I’ve a vague niggling notion it was possibly Ulster? - maybe Clare? Sorry, not much help there. I plan to dig out old notes to see if there’s anything there - I hope…

Re: Another ‘gan ainm’? More likely my uncooperative memory - - -

I recognise it but can’t place it. I don’t think it’s a trad tune, but a song, the first line being the chorus. Also I hear the end of the phrase a bit differently, bars 6-8 maybe: dc de f2 b2 | (3agf ge Bc | d6

Musing further…. I was going to say a sentimental song, a children’s song, with an animal in it somewhere. And bingo I think actually it might be the Rolf Harris number, Two Little Boys (each had a wooden horse)… am I right?

@Stiamh: There is certainly a passing resemblance with the aforementioned song - which was written in 1902 and was a music hall hit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Little_Boys . Perhaps ceolachan will verify this, but I believe the ‘barndance’ as a specific dance arose during this era and many barndance tunes are influenced by or based on the popular songs of the time.

Duh! Diolch yn fawr/much thanks Creadur, right you are. I had that suspicion too, that it was something already here, and something I’d have likely already added a transcription to.

I would have placed this somewhere between the 1850s and 1910, as a schottische, but having lyrics would not be a surprise, though my suspicion is this predates "Two Little Boys". I need to dig through some collections, suspecting it will show up somewhere, maybe in a Kerr collection? I’ll set aside some time for that.

I have found another recording of it but without any useful information attached. I’ll transcribe that and if it is different enough will add it later, hopefully with more information…

I’ve also suffered a weird first. I’ve Clarke whistles as old as this one that went sour, but this one I’ve just confirmed has suffered wood rot. The fipple plug appears to be red cedar, roughly made, but soft and gummy, Yuck! One much older, my favourite rolled and tapered ‘tin’, similar but not a Clarke, is still in excellent condition, also with a wood plug. Now to find some cedar or other long lasting wood to see if I can rescue this, looking forward to experimenting with it - a curved windway and knife edge instead of the usual Clarke profile?

"Now to find some cedar or other long lasting wood to see if I can rescue this…"

The stakes for protest placards are often made of western red cedar. I gathered a bundle of them in Hyde Park years ago and turned them into a mandolin top. Failing that, your neighbours won’t notice a panel missing from their shed…

BTW, was your Clarke whistle comment meant for another thread?

Funny, I used different bars, different versions, and at least two different keys too, but without a positive result. While it is still without a name I know or can acknowledge the help is much appreciated. I hadn’t learned this one as a song but as previously mentioned, a schottische. The connections remind me of another I’d previously submitted which became the theme song for the old movie "Thunder Road":

"Schlittschuhtanz" / "The Blacksmith’s Schottische"
https://thesession.org/tunes/7945

Ola old friend. The "Clarke whistle comment" was actually there at the beginning. I was fussing with this old Clarke tin whistle when the tune popped back into memory. I then went looking and found an Ireland sourced recording for this, though no useful accompanying information, which I will likely add a transcription from. And all this while simultaneously fussing with this rotting Clarke. My head now furrowed - a rotting Clarke!? It was a favourite, so well used all the paint is worn off…

A red cedar top for a mandolin, as the sounding board!? Hmmmm… - Oops! I can see this sliding into a different discussion… With love - 😉

Western red cedar is widely used for soundboards nowadays (on guitars and mandolin family instruments) - as well as garden sheds, placard stakes and whistle blocks.