OT - This is a great band (although not ITM)

OT - This is a great band (although not ITM)

I don’t know what type of music you call this….it’s amazing though! Here’s a link to a .wma track

http://www.millish.com/Images/02%20Asanul.wma

One of my friends gave me the link…it’s a band bansed in Michigan called ‘Millish’. Anyone heard of them?

Re: OT - This is a great band (although not ITM)

Very good indeed. In fact some of "The Session" police might approve and, thereafter, regard it as an Irish tune. 🙂

‘Allo ‘Allo ‘Allo - Wot’s goin’ on ‘ere then?

Millish is based in Ann Arbor, MI and is comprised of 4 brilliant young musicians, not the least of whom is All-Ireland piper Tyler Duncan, who studied under the late Al Purcell. They are in fact rooted in irish traditional music, though the lads have interest in and are heavily influenced by other forms of traditional music. I encourage you to check out their website and read their bios. There is a CD due out pretty soon.

If you get a chance to hear them live I encourage you to do so - their arrangements are brilliant and tight and very exciting to listen to.

Incidentally Paul, Tyler is a very good friend of Dale’s! I’m suprised you haven’t already met him in your travels. Small world.

Hehe, it’s a small world when you play Irish/Scottish music!

It was Dale who gave me the links. Was hoping to get a tune with Tyler, but the logistics were screwed in the end as he was away at the wrong time.

Do I know you, Steph?

Looking forward to the album!

Hey, I really like that. No, I mean *really*.

Want album. Now!

Posted by .

Hey Paul, what does it mean to be ‘bansed’ in Michigan?? Is that a Scottish term?? 🙂

Played Joanne’s reel last week at Nevin’s.

Sandy

Yes, it’s an old scottish term which is used to describe…..

‘being locked up (based) in a pub until you have worked off your bar bill, then being banned’

Well I hope they get out soon and get their debut album out quickly….lol

Excellent stuff. Me like lots. Me want. Now.

Jim

Yep Paul - I think we last had a tune in Gleesons one fine July evening before you whisked Dale away over the sea 🙂

I’ve been listening to the four (uncompressed, 50mb!) tracks on their website the whole weekend, and I can’t get over how good they are… Millish has - dare I say it - outflooked flook!

Are we ready to call this whole new genre? If I were to classify them (as I’m about to do now) I’d group them together with Flook and the McGoldrick & John McSherry album, and maybe McGoldrick’s Fused, although Fused is more distinctly both traditional and jazzy.

Posted by .

McGoldrick & McSherry are both huge influences for them - good call Q.

Ah, Steph….I know who you are now……I went up to the shetland islands with Dale last week….and now he has gone over to Norway….lots of blonde girls over there….so it’s definitely on my list!

Brock was very entertaining that week btw!

paul_godfray@yahoo.co.uk

Hmmm…gonna play devil’s advocate here. While showing great talent and good arrangements…this band seems a little "white bread" to me. I think it is difficult to do "fusion" of any variety and still keep the "soul" and integrity of each of the fused elements intact…or to build on that to some new integrity.

It is a matter of taste…but it just isn’t earthy enough…too "floaty"…."incorporeal"…am I making any sense here?

So sue me…everyone’s a critic eh?

I kinda see your point yekdeli. But I think they should just be accepted as being MUSIC….

They are writing their own tunes and it really is their own brand of music. Very exciting stuff. I’m not saying everyone should like them, but I would say they play with a HUGE amount of soul and have excellent potential…

I do accept them as music. I just think it is a little too "new agey" for me. It hearkens up visions of floaty, middle-aged half-hearted lovers of all things "celtic"…even if they have to make it up. (Though the musicians can certainly PLAY!)

"Hearts of Space"…etc. I think it is the "jazz" element that throws me off. As I said…it is my opinion..

It just "don’t grab me, man"! In the same way that I prefer to have horns and bass rather than "tinkly white-boy" piano in "my jazz" music. (Unless it happens to be Duke Ellington playing…?)

Maybe my tastes are just a little more Neanderthal…ugh…(wink) I am just a cave-girl at heart!

BTW Paul…How great that you have come across "Old Timey" music. My mother was from Arkansas…and there was plenty of hollering in the Ozarks.

Hi yekdeli, I was also there at Tubbercurry in July for one day. Did I join in a small late-afternoon session with you there?

I was playing the fiddle with two canadians on fiddle and banjo and an american on whistle. Does that ring a bell? Could’ve been you…..I drank so much I have only hazy memories….my god though….we drank for free the whole night in that particular bar!

Then the four of us guys slept in a barn down the road for 4 hours on top of some haystacks! Ah….life on the road!

- yekdeli -

"Maybe my tastes are just a little more Neanderthal…"

Just wait till you hear their arrangement of ‘Stairway to Heaven’ with the pipes as the main voice…

Paul I’m sure you were the guy doing a gig in Gleeson’s with Pat Marsh (I think) during the Willie Clancy week.

Thanks for the music - it was great. There was a gymungous session afterwards, and I played some box. I believe your Canadian friends spent one night in our gaff.

Good luck

Conán McDonnell

Hi Conan,

It was Eoin O’Neil who was on Bouzouki (with the lovely Kitty Hayes as guest).

Glad you enjoyed the gig…i can hate doing pub gigs sometimes though…bit too noisy

That was one of the biggest sessions i’ve ever seen afterwards! I think I counted about 30 or 35 players in the big circle?!

Dave and Darcy stayed at your place? Where was that, Dublin? Did Dave drive you into alcoholism that night?!

Cheers

Paul

paul_godfray@yahoo.co.uk

. A group of friends and I were staying in a house a mile or so outside Miltown and the boys came back for a tune.I missed Dave and Darcy playing as I was out and about myself but met them later. Darcy seems to pop up regularly at festivals; I met him in Donegal one New Year as well, and I’ve seen him around.

Actually I was gonna venture a guess it was Eoghan O’Neill but then I thought I had it wrong! Great stuff though, and the boul’ Kitty did a wonderful set.

All the best!

Paul…

Coulda been me…I remember the Banjo player if I am not mistaken…

YES…no problem getting the jars filled in Tubber…generous pub owners…

I am such a novice I didn’t come out to play as much as to listen…but did venture a few tries!

You were at Miltown Malbay too, eh… I think I’m gonna try there next year. Tubber is my new adopted home though…marrying a native on October 2!

We have a session planned for the reception…ought to be good craic!