Splendid Isolation - a tune for these strange times.

Splendid Isolation - a tune for these strange times.

On my first day of self-isolation I thought I’d record this wonderful & rather appropriately entitled Brendan McGlinchey composition.

I decided to play it on Hammered Dulcimer, English Concertina & Tenor Banjo.

Does anyone else fancy giving us their take on it?

You might find it an interesting & enjoyable exercise, as we hunker down for the long haul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6xN8QKo7fo

Cheers,
Dick

Re: Splendid Isolation - a tune for these strange times.

Hi there Dick
Hope all is going well for you and yours

Well, I have been blessed enough to hear Brendan play it, and what a lovely piece of music!
I have a take on it myself, but not that worthy I reckon 🙂
For anyone else, if you get the chance, there’s a lovely fiddle player out here in Australia called Khalida de Ridder. She plays the Slow Air then hits the reel. Her bowing and lift is fantastic!
And if anyone wants a good read there’s also House of Splendid Isolation written by Edna O’Brien

Keep safe and well
All the best
Brian x

Lovely arrangement indeed, please do share more like this!

Sounds great.
Where’s the standing stone in the picture?
Alex.

Hi Brian,

Yes, the best adjudication I ever heard at a Fleadh competition was by Brendan. He took the time to compliment each player and also add a little constructive advice .. a real Gentleman.

As for his Slow & Reel versions, thanks to Kenny, we can all enjoy his playing in this video clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9xnvijV7Y4

Hi Mudchutney, glad you enjoyed my humble effort.

Looks like many of us will have plenty of free time, in the coming weeks, to arrange & record lots of tunes like this.

Hi Alex,

That’s Corvally Standing Stone. The hill in the distance is Knocklayde & I live on the lower slope on the far side of it. It’s overlooks Ballycastle, on the Causeway Coast of County Antrim.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Stay safe.

Dick

@ptarmigan Very, very nice. I could listen to a lot more like that. Super.

Hi John,

Glad you enjoyed it.

If you’re a glutton for punishment you could check out my soundcloud page, but I’m afraid I have mostly English tunes on there right now. https://soundcloud.com/dick-glasgow

Cheers,
Dick

Good on ya, Dick! That tune is coming into favor here recently… Hope you’re not going too stir crazy!

My namesake. Isolation has always been a good thing, when its the right time, in good measure.

Hi Reverend, no chance of me going stir crazy with instruments to practice, new tunes to learn, plus 4 dogs to keep fit & a large wildlife garden to maintain. … Stay safe young man.

Hi Splendid Isolation, yes I know as musicians we’re all well used to periods of isolation, as we painfully learn to play our instruments. … Pain for us & those within earshot. 😀

Cheers,
Dick

Used to take the family camping to Ballycastle. Loved going fishing in the lakes on top of Fair Head. Always up for a trip across to Rathlin. I went to the Lammas Fair once. Just once. I remember Fiddlin’ Tom Cameron having a stall there that year. Hope to get to Rathlin again, Corona virus permitting, to photograph Puffins and Guillemots and maybe a Hare or two!
Alex.

Aye Alex, once is enough, for the Lammas Fair is a bit like the Giant’s Causeway … "Worth seeing, but not worth going to see!" 😀

Watch out for Chough too, when you’re on Rathlin.

Cheers,
Dick

https://www.facebook.com/1542606283/posts/10221602984334253/?d=n

Nice playing Ptarmigan

I recorded it as well. On St. Patrick’s Day.
An odd feeling being in on that day.

The link is public so should be accessible?

A bit of a tagging game going on with it now on Facebook so loads of versions popping up just now.

Stay well

Posted by .

Nice one dunnp,

Love all those 1/2 notes you slide into … sadly not possible for me to do on ye olde Dulcimore.

Certainly no harm that lots of folks are recording this great reel.

Stay Safe.

Cheers,
Dick

This is really good. Congrats

Glad you enjoyed it Massimo. … Stay Safe.
Cheers,
Dick