Dixon low G

Dixon low G

I play Dixon high D, plastic.
Thought I’d try a low G, metal body, plastic mouth piece
I get the occasional high - pitched squeal.
Could be fingering not covering holes.
Any suggestions?

Re: Dixon low G

That’s probably it. Stay with it, they’ll go away.

Metal body plastic mouthpiece is not my favourite combination. Howard lo D that I had showed the same problem which disappeared as soon as I got a Cillian O Brien two metal piece

I have both of them. High plastic D is so easy to play and I love it sweetness. The low G in the other hand, was not as easy. Besides I dont care much about its sound not matter how much I play it, and at first I had the same problem you are having. But it is all about covering well and getting used to the stretch.

The Dixon alto G takes very little breath and needs good breath control. You’ll get used to it. I didn’t like it at first but it grew on me.

Posted by .

I have a Dixon Alto G of the brass tube/plastic head variety, and its one of my favorite whistles. I’ve come to suspect that whistles vary so much from one to another, even within the same make, that generalizations are difficult to make with much accuracy. I would say play it now if you enjoy it, if not put it aside and play something else for a year or so and come back to it. Sometimes a whistle that seemed like a dog to me in the past has become much better liked after a period like that. Although sometimes they just remained a dog.

Thanks. I’m perceveiring and although it’s playing better, it’s not a sweet sound.
I’ll stick with the high D.
I occasionally play a low D and it has a lovely low tone.