Having our first The Ould Sod Zoom-based session tonight (3/24/2020)

Having our first The Ould Sod Zoom-based session tonight (3/24/2020)

We’re going to try to have our first Zoom-based session tonight, on the same night as our usual Tuesday night sessions at The Ould Sod here in San Diego.

We’ll be using a "round-the-circle" format where only one mike is un-muted at a time, everyone else plays along at home.

I think Zoom is the best platform we can use given the vast number of devices people use with various quality and speed of connection considering the inherent additive latency of device, network, and application.

I’ll report back how it went tomorrow.

Stay safe,

Michael

Re: Having our first The Ould Sod Zoom-based session tonight (3/24/2020)

First try worked very well.

We had about 10 people on the meeting, with 7 players and three people just listening.

No major technical glitches. Occasional sound dropouts, but nothing that was too problematic.

I’m going to make this a regular Tuesday night thing until we can get back to playing together at the pub in the real world.

It definitely was a good idea to upgrade to the Pro version of Zoom ($15/month). The free version only allows hosting meetings of up to 40 minutes, the Pro version allows unlimited length meetings. We went close to two hours.

I’d love to join you next time if that’s possible?

We had a session on Monday night with around 12 folks from the Islay Inn session in Glasgow using Zoom and the same format as Michael - one player at a time. We also had a few teething problems but everyone enjoyed being back playing and seeing friendly faces so would recommend it if you can.

The Glasgow Folk Workshop is also running some slow sessions run by tutors Nigel Gatherer and Finlay Allison on Monday and Wed nights at 6:55. I joined in the first one and there was about 45 online. Again great to be playing with others and see so many friendly faces - http://www.nigelgatherer.com/ for the Monday one and https://www.facebook.com/gfw.scot/ for the Wed one.

Happy virtual sessioneering!

Michael, could you record the session and then post a link?

I don’t know how much good recording it would be, since they’re doing it where only one mic is live at a time. It would be like recording one person playing at a time, and wouldn’t be people playing together in the recording. Unless they decided to play to a click track and then combine each player’s audio later, like the Lisbon session has been doing (https://facebook.com/lisbonirishsession/videos/551406052148038/)

As Pete said, the recordings wouldn’t be very exciting and its already enough pressure having to play solo for everyone else, I don’t want to add the additional pressure of knowing the session will be recorded.

Hi, just about using zoom, does everyone have to have a Pro zoom account to make the meeting longer than 40 mins, or is it just the host? and do all the participants have to have a Zoom account?

sorry, ignore my previous comment, I was being lazy. I have now googled some answers like I should have done in the first place…

We tried this today and had some problems. When the whistle player would lead a tune, the program was fine for a couple of seconds, and then would quiet down as if it was filtering out the sound. Others could not hear it. The banjo and mandolin somehow did better and they could lead tunes. But if a guitar player tried backing the tune and played too loud even while on mute, the program would quiet down the main un-muted player. I am wondering if there are some recommendations on the best setting to use when trying to swap tunes over Zoom.

I’m hosting a Tuesday night Zoom session for our local players. I have a Zoom pro account.

As the host, I mute everyone except for the one person playing. Everyone else plays along at home with their microphones muted. When the set is done, I unmute all the microphones and someone else volunteers to start a set, I mute everyone except the person leading the set and off we go again…

The "Preserve Sound Option" is only available on the desktop versions, not for participants in the mobile version.

Thinking of intriguing technical strategies for virtual sessions. Technologies that exist, but need some procedures worked out, or, at most, a bit of new technical "glue."

How about a "round robin" set? Same process as one player recording a mult-part tune. The leader records his/her part, forwards to the next person who records their part on top, passes it to the next - at the end, all listen to the results together.

Or, (needs "glue"), it could be done semi-live, where the audio/video is piped from one player to the next - each one plays with the growing combo as they hear it live - and it is captured at the end to share back with everyone.

Neither of these replicates the session experience, of course, but both are improvements on the current "multiple simultaneous duo" solution.