James Aird (1782), "My love is but a lassie yet"

James Aird (1782), "My love is but a lassie yet"

I love the tune "My love is but a lassie yet" from Book 2 of James Aird’s Book 2 from 1782. I am not finding it in the Session and I wonder if anyone knows of it be a different name. Here is the abc from Jack Chapman, 2009.

X:0201
T:My Love She’s but a Lassie yet.
M:2/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=104
I: :: ::
Z:Jack Campin * www.campin.me.uk * 2009
K:D
B/c/ |d`DFD|dDD (B/c/)| dDFD |eEE
(B/c/ |d)DFD|dg“f>e |(d/c/“B/A/) Bc|dDD:|
(f/g/)|a`fge|fd (d/e/)(f/g/)| afgf |eEE
(f/g/)|a`fge|fd“ec |(d/c/)(B/A/) Bc|dDD:|

Re: James Aird (1782), "My love is but a lassie yet"

Thank you DonaldD. However, it is not the same tune. So often tunes have the same name and it is frustrating. I found a few other references with the same name but alas, not this tune. Thanks for trying!

It is the same tune, captor, it’s just not an identical setting. For such an old tune settings are bound to have little differences. The third setting is pretty close, though, to the one you seek.

Apologies for spellchecker yet again changing your handle, chaptor.

Checked with my digital copy of "A SELECTION of Scotch, English, Irish and Foreign AIRS Adapted for the FIFE, VIOLIN, or German FLUTE VOL II." by James Aird (1801) and I have to say that his version is almost identical to the third setting of "Tripping On The Mountain" posted by fynnjamin here on 27th July 2008, and which is taken from "Thompson’s Compleat Collection of Country Dances" (c.1770). The only differences I can see are one eighth note pair in Thompson replaced by a dotted eighth and sixteenth in the A part in Aird and the tied double low notes in Thompson are untied in Aird. It’s the same tune.

Question. If you have the Aird transcription already, why do you need an exact replica on thesession.org?

Thank You! I should have known to look farther down! : )