Can you recommend the sounds/music type like Rhiannon Giddens?

Re: Can you recommend the sounds/music type like Rhiannon Giddens?

Hi WindMusic

I hope that you are well

I don’t understand your post.

Did you mean to be on another form?
I don’t think that there’s anything remotely connected to Traditional Irish Music in the links you posted, and if you’re inclined to like what this performer does then maybe it would be better to state your adulation on her website or appropriate forum.

I really am confused to find this here.
Sorry if I seem thick, I just don’t get it.

All the best
Brian x

WM when Rhiannon started with the Carolina Chocolate Drops their style was based on the string band music of the Piedmont area , played by both whites and Afro Americans before the Blues became popular, though country blues remained an influence on their music. You would do well to explore ‘ragtimey’ Piedmont musicians like Rev Gary Davis, Blind Willie McTell, Blind Boy Fuller and Sonny Terry, Elizabeth Cotten, also jug and string bands like the Memphis Jug Band, Mississippi Sheiks and Cannon’s Jug Stompers. A word of caution - I love all this stuff but there are folks who would question its relevance on a forum devoted to ITM and related genres and this is maybe beyond the outer limits………………………..

Q.E.D.!

@brian Don’t see why that snarky comment was leveled at me. I have seen many threads on here which are not irish but still folk and yet pass. I have also seen threads on here saying that is fine so long as they are folky just don’t make it get to the point the non irish outweigh the Irish and those words came down from the top from Jeremy himself in a thread I was reading.

It is folk so I don’t see what the uproar is…If I posted death metal or some EDM track then sure.

English folk is sometimes mentioned here so why not American.

I would make the claim that someone like her is more deserving to be spoken about due to her deep respect for folk culture than some commercial irish band who have bastardised the genre.

Oh and btw if you still have a problem with it she has competed in scottish fiddling championships!