Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona USA Irish Musical Instruments Exhibit on YouTube

Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona USA Irish Musical Instruments Exhibit on YouTube

Something to watch during the current times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TMvl4MiA-A

No mention who made the bouzouki, button box, guitar and harp. If I guessed, I would be mostly incorrect but I’m certain that members here can fill out that information.

Re: Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona USA Irish Musical Instruments Exhibit on YouTube

Seeing the title of this post, I was immediately tempted to remark that I’ve seen the 50-foot tall statue of uilleann pipes driven, on end, into the Route 66 Arizona desert sand in front of the museum. But that would be a fiction because Route 66 never ran through Phoenix.

But on a serious note, I wonder if Rich Walter is somewhere among us?

Re: Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona USA Irish Musical Instruments Exhibit on YouTube

Hi there Richard

The link you gave just gives me commercial adverts.
It doesn’t seem to provide anything else, but, having said that, I’m not the most gifted Internet user either
🙁

All the best
Brian x

Richard’s link works fine for me!

Since you’ve brought up Route 66, I lived just off of it for 6 years in Chandler, Oklahoma before moving to Arizona. During that time, the only trad I heard was at Sean Cummings Irish Pub in Oklahoma City and it was just one guy playing and singing. Pleasant background to dining but not so interesting that I got caught up in it. A year after leaving that state I fell headlong into ITM and it’s been my major effort since then.

Here in Albuquerque, we have two pubs, O"Neill’s and Two Fools, on Route 66 (Central Ave.) that are venues for our local Irish bands. Our weekly Thursday night session is at the Hops Brewery taproom, which is on the pre 1937 alignment of Route 66 (4th St.). Hoping this virus stuff ends and we can get back to playing.

I always feel a bit down about seeing musical instruments with the life draining out of them in static displays.

"I always feel a bit down about seeing musical instruments with the life draining out of them in static displays."

For sure instruments were meant to be played.

Yet, current (and future) instrument makers have much to learn from old instruments, especially from ones which have got into a museum before any musicians mucked with them.

Now there’s value in studying instruments that have been worn and repaired and modified too, because that tells us about performance practices and musician’s attitudes towards their instruments.

But usually modern makers prefer examining and measuring an instrument in a condition as close as possible to the way it originally left the maker’s workshop.

Look at all the Leo Rowsome chanters which have been altered by players. I’ve heard stories about pipers such as one having a wonderful Rowsome chanter but unfortunately the style of reed he makes doesn’t work right in it, Bottom D is flat so he chops the bottom of the chanter. Now some of the other notes are off so he fills and re-drills some of the holes. 50 years from now a maker is trying to recreate the wonderful tone and playability of Rowsome chanters and he comes across this pig! What good is it? It only tells us that some piper in the past didn’t know how to make the right kind of reed.

(I admit to being guilty of this, but with cheap mass-produced plastic Highland chanters.)

"I always feel a bit down about seeing musical instruments with the life draining out of them in static displays."

Then you would have been dismayed at the Joe Foley mandolin that hung on the wall of my den for four years while I waited for my favored luthier to return to town. $500 worth of repairs later it gets played frequently as it should. Thankfully, it was repairable but it really hurts to see a large investment just hanging there.

That’s a Clark harp. A neighborhood friend, having recently returned from a trip to Arizona, was excited to tell me about an Irish harp that they had, that was made in Syracuse NY.

I went through the MIM a few years back and at least two of the concertinas (unlike the one in the video) were displayed upside-down. I wrote the museum an email suggesting they might want to consult an expert (like Frank Edgley, who made a concertina for them which is on display). On a later visit the concertinas were still inverted.
Maybe in a future revival everyone will wonder why the air button on an anglo concertina was operated by us ancients with the left-hand fifth finger!
Seriously, my wife and I loved MIM and visit it whenever we get to Phoenix.

Posted by .

I hope those instruments get played from time to time.