Online classes for the quarantine

Online classes for the quarantine

Hi all! Since so many of us are stuck at home, I thought it would be good to get a list of online classes and resources going.

The Center for Irish Music in Minnesota is offering two online classes starting next week. Both are led by Altan guitarist Dáithí Sproule:

Iconic Traditional Bands, Tuesdays starting 4/7, 8-9pm CST
Singers & Their Songs, Thursdays starting 4/9, 8-9pm CST

Registration is open at www.centerforirishmusic.org/register (these classes are listed under Adult Song & Cultural Classes).

What else is happening out there?

Re: Online classes for the quarantine

Over the past two weeks, pretty much every musician I know on Facebook has started offering online tutoring - they’ve all got nothing on their hands right now, and you can only do so many livestreams before you get bored.

Thanks, those John Whelan vids are gold!

The people at TIMES (Traditional Irish Music Education Society) have a page listing instructors. https://irishtradmusic.org/teaching/all-teaching/

TIMES is associated with the O’Flaherty Irish Music Retreat in Texas, and they recently put out an email to all current and former instructors at O’Flaherty offering them a free listing on that page. (I haven’t put my name on there yet, because I don’t have time for new students at the moment, since I already have a handful, and I’m still working my regular job during the pandemic). I’m guessing that the list will get filled out quite a bit more in the coming weeks, though. So it can be a good place for students to connect with teachers.